Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #1

1972 21' Globetrotter
West Jefferson , North Carolina
1972 Tail Light replacement

Hey everyone! We are in the process of restoring our 1972 that we bought from my dad. I am going to upgrade the exterior lights to LED (I have a thing of LEDs). All of the lights are easy and straightforward except the tail lights. I removed one of the lesnes and the assembly that holds the bulb and the whole assembly is more light a cars tail light (I'm thinking ~60s before it was complete assemblies). Has anyone installed any "standard" lights in these? If so how?

I have found this, which are my fall back if not.

Thank you everyone! Many questions to follow!
TheSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

I rebuilt the tail lights on my trailer about 10 years ago. The options at the time were to replace the metal "can" that houses the light bulb, the bulb with an LED one, and the lens. Alternatively, I could remove the can and install an all-in-one sealed light assembly.

I did the latter. I think I bought them from InlandRV.com. The cost was similar to the product you show in your listing. What I got from them was a light that was approximately the right size to fit into the casting, but it had been shaved down, to remove a seam or mounting holes or something. To install them, they were just glued in place using silicone.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
I found lights to fit the cans with the 3 screws, it wasn't worth it.
glue in regular high quality 4" lights. mine ended up dimmer than I wanted.

They're somewhere in my build thread.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
round lake , Illinois
I purchased those mention in the op. Upon attempting to install them this fall in my 1970 I had two issues worth mentioning. 1st issue with the tail/stop light, running lights appear to be wired as brake lights, thus not illuminating brighter when the brakes are applied. 2nd issue was the socket for both of the backup lamps were essentially frozen in time. I destroyed the sockets trying to loosen up the spring mechanism to make contact with the bulb base.

The led light/lens combo is built nice and screwed into place, great fit.
Good luck
let's play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Any light upgrade that required the use of the original can and socket would not have worked for me, as my originals were so rusted away that they were unusable. I would be willing to bet that you can find a 4" sealed red LED light that is designed as a brake/tail light and adapt it to fit in your casting with a little effort.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:27 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Deroche , British Columbia
I used these, without the rubber gasket. The backup (white) ones had a very small lip on the back edge, I sanded them off for a perfect fit, used a silicone adhesive to hold in place. I removed the rusty old cans from my 1973 and they fit perfect in the hole. They are recessed farther on one side into the tail light frame to make them parallel with the bumper.
This isn't the exact brand but very similar. Nice and bright, water proof and look good.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-12-leds/2921/
Fraser Field is offline   Reply With Quote