Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
1968 Overlander Running Light (Marker Light) Wiring Diagram or Routing Information

All lights work on my trailer except the running lights. I had no tail lights (or running lights) the other day until I chased down a short (I think) in the wiring. I removed the right tail light assembly and found 4 green wires that are connected together at that point. Three of the wires are larger and one is small. The smallest of the four would take significant current from a wire directly connected to the battery. I eliminated this wire from the group and my tail lights and license plate lights started to work. I assume these four wires are 1) the feed from the front, 2) one for left tail light and license plate light, 3) one for right tail light and 4) one to the rear upper clearance lights? The one for left stops off at the license plate light.

My vehicle (2014 ML 350) senses the extra current draw from the shorted wire and turns off the power to the tail light circuit and indicates "tail lamp out" on the dash display. There are no blown fuses his way, which is nice. This did make diagnostics difficult. Interestingly, it stated that the "left tail light" was out. Not certain how it could ever know that as they are all on one circuit?

I think I am correct in understanding that there are 13 lights on this circuit: 2 tail lights; 10 marker, clearance, or running lights (5 in front amber and 5 in the rear red); and the license plate light. These are all fed by the green wire in the 7-pin connector. Correct?

When I inspect the wiring at the access under the trailer where the 7 wires come in, I find a branch off the green wire that has been cut (or chewed) off about 6 inches from the connection. I cannot feel or see where this goes. I assume it feeds the front 5 running lights? Anyone know the sequence to the lights or where this wire goes from the access point?

I also assume the green wire that I disconnected at the right tail light back feeds the rear 5 running lights?

I replaced all running lights with LED light fixtures and have no power to any of them at this time.
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Southwest Ranches , Florida
I don't know the answer to this, but I really hope someone does! I'm just about to start mine!
mashburn.nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Picture of wireing in rear . Looks like LP light is wired in series? Will be checking and re wireing whole trailer next week .Click image for larger version

Name:	998C2551-E320-4ABB-A3CC-62C8AE4A5A04.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	318873

Click image for larger version

Name:	CDBBDAB9-CFEA-4849-9ECB-D5F5190B976B.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	318874
Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags