Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Lyons , Colorado
1966 Caravel intermittent 12V light failure when plugged into shore power

I have a 1966 Airstream Caravel, and the electrical system seems to be acting a bit wonky.

Specifically, the issue I am seeing is that the overhead lights in the trailer, which according to the manual (attached) are on a 12V DC circuit, only turn on intermittently when the trailer is plugged in to 110V shore power. Everything else appears to be working fine: all of the 110V AC outlets in the trailer appear to be working well when plugged into shore power; and when switching from shore power to battery power, all of the lights in the trailer work consistently. The issue only seems to affect the lights when plugged into shore power. They mostly will not turn on, but sometimes I can get them to turn on if I switch from AC to battery power rapidly several times by toggling the switch on the low voltage panel. Sometimes they will turn on on their own, without me toggling the panel, but then sometime later will turn off on their own.

I have attached some screenshots of the wiring diagrams from the owner’s manual. All of the wiring appears to be original, and corresponds to what is depicted in these diagrams.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what component of the electrical system might be failing? Also, is it dangerous to leave the trailer plugged into shore power given the above failures?

I would appreciate any insight anyone can offer on this. Thank you for your time and attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 10.35.04 PM.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	406090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 10.34.45 PM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	406091  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream electrical system.pdf (412.1 KB, 3 views)
jbeard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Transformer (12 volt output) is most likely failing. When the lights do not work, check the transformer output with a DVM. I have a 67 Caravel that I redid the electrical system and that wiring diagram does not look familiar. I do know I am not using the original 19v circuit (wire is still in trailer and I cannot recall where it goes).
David F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, 1966, caravel