Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Why does the water back wash into the tub?

Not sure if the terminology is right, but here's the idea. We don't have a gray tank in our '69 Sovereign, so we keep a small red hose attached and slowly let the gray drain away (only when and where permissible, of course).

When we use the bath sink, it drains fine. When we use the shower drain, eventually it drains okay. But if there's any water in the tub whatsoever, and you use any other sink, the water backs up into the tub. Shouldn't it all just drain out the drain out valve?

We've cleaned and flushed the water lines, hot water tank, plunged, etc.

Any ideas?

PS once we got over the boiled out battery crisis, we're actually enjoying the renovation again. All new screens last night! Yay! And the new blinds and cushions are on the way.

Thanks for the helpful tips and sharing in our fun!
stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaways View Post
Not sure if the terminology is right, but here's the idea. We don't have a gray tank in our '69 Sovereign, so we keep a small red hose attached and slowly let the gray drain away (only when and where permissible, of course).

When we use the bath sink, it drains fine. When we use the shower drain, eventually it drains okay. But if there's any water in the tub whatsoever, and you use any other sink, the water backs up into the tub. Shouldn't it all just drain out the drain out valve?

We've cleaned and flushed the water lines, hot water tank, plunged, etc.

Any ideas?

PS once we got over the boiled out battery crisis, we're actually enjoying the renovation again. All new screens last night! Yay! And the new blinds and cushions are on the way.

Thanks for the helpful tips and sharing in our fun!
The tub water drains to the same place as the sinks.

Be patient, and wait 15 minutes or so, since your using a small hose.

If your flushing away a lot of water, it will back up into the tub, since thats the lowest part of the system, but that will drain away also.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
This is only my idea, but it sounds like the water is not able to drain thru the "small red hose" fast enough.

I would try the same situation with a large sewer hose and see if it changes.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Check your roof vents
Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Funny thing water - it can make it's own decision and seek it's own level. I'm guessing that the red hose you're using to drain the gray water is small enough that water is backing up into the tub. When the tub drains, it will fill the drain line completely since the hose is the restriction. Then, when you add more water to the drain line (like from the bathroom sink), the water will go to the lowest place possible. In your case, the bathtub. And since the drain plumbing is already full of water, it will flow to the bathtub quite easily. So even though you're draiing the bathtub via the hose, the water from the higher sink will flow into the drain, and backup into the tub, because the hose is already full of water draining out. You have two 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" drains trying to go out a single 3/4" or 1/2" hose. The tub is acting like a gray water tank and holding the water until it can drain out of the hose.

Chris
Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
My guess is that it is the laws of physics rather than a problem in the trailer drains.
I would bet that the "small red hose" is the problem. It most likely is restricting the flow to a rate of less than the other drains, especially in combination. In that case, the water takes the path of least resistance ........ into the tub, the next lowest point.
To check this theory, remove the red hose and the cap it attaches to so you have a full 3" drain with no restrictions. I am guessing you have this option from the setup on my trailer. Then drain some sinks and shower in ways that previously cause problems and see if the problem is reduced or eliminated.
I, too, have no grey tank and use your same method. When I dump my kitchen sink through my "small black hose" it will sometimes back up in the tub. My cure is to slow the sink drain slightly so I have no backup. Hope this helps.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I think you will find that the sinks flow into the drain between the tub and the final exit. If water is backed up into the tub, the exit drain is also full of water, so any water put down the sink drain will flow to the lowest point, which is the tub.

I once was hooked to our large "Blue Boy" with a small hose and had the shower water back up into the tub. The Blue Boy was empty, but I had not opened the drain cap, so air could not exit the Blue Boy as water entered. As soon as the air pressure in the Blue Boy built up, the water could no longer enter it and backed up. It doesn't take much to cause sink water to back up into the tub.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Just make sure the black tank valve stays closed. You don't want any of that coming up in the tub....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Sounds like you are building pressure in the gray water system. This could be because of the Small Drain hose and water is coming into the system faster than it can drain. As mentioned above try a full size drain hose or find a spot where you can just open the drain directly to the ground and try it there.

If you still have a problem depending where the vent is tied in flush the roof vent and try again.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Lumatic - tell us about the "roof vents". What's your theory?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
thanks all... we suspected the red hose. Will try experiment with slinkie and see if we get a different result! : )
stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thoughts to consider

We've learned in previous posts that water seeks it own level. Is the end of the red hose lower than the tub? Does the red hose go over a small hill, then back down? This would create a drain trap which would cause more resistance in draining.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote