Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Wet Bath in 72 Tradewind

We bought another one !!! This one is a 72 Tradewind with a beautiful exterior and interior. It is spacious and has lots of storage space. I do wonder though why Airstream created a wet bath. Being used to our big bath in our Overlander, this will take some getting used to. Do any of you have one with the wet bath and if so, do you have any hints for me?

Thanks,

Lee & Don Pace
69 Overlander
72 Tradewind
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx.
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
I also have a 1972 Tradewind with a wet bath. I've looked at 1972 Tradewinds with a full bath and I prefer a wet bath. The wet bath provides more space in the front living area, about 18 inches.

I have two suggestions for the wet bath. First, purchase an expanding drain plug and use it in the floor drain when traveling. This will prevent any grey water back up through the floor drain. This can occur if you travel with your dump tube capped and run any water. The floor drain is the lowest point in the grey water system before the dump point. Second, I've found it useful to use a mat on the floor to reduce scratches to the surface.
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

In addition to the plug and matt, you might consider re-arranging the shower curtain to keep the shower water contained. I did this on a '71 Safari with the same bath and it worked out great. Email me at landyachtdoc@earthlink.net for some photos if interested. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We have a 69 - Globe Trotter with a wet bath.

Likes and dislikes - I guess everyone is different - depending on the dailly bathroom rituals - size could be a real issue for some.

We manage pretty well - and on our last 2 week trip we finally had our water heater hooked up and working so we could take advantage of private showers. Works great - and two fold - you will always have a tidy and clean bathroom. And since it is not very big you will not get into the habit of storing everything but the kitchen sink in your bathroom.

We make it a point not to clutter the floor while traveling - there is nothing like using your own Bathroom - rather the the gas station or even rest station sometimes.

Like Pepper 48 we have the stopper drain plug - original that stops water from coming into the shower pan. This does allow the water to back up the drainage pipes and eventually will come to the sink level - acts as a back-up wash water storage untill you can drain it. You can get two types of caps for the outside drain. We use the one with the hose attachement screw lid - psst don't tell anyone - but we leave that a little loose while we drive so that the dishwater can drain out.

Our Black tank drains out the same drain - so one thing we have learned is on our last shower before breaking camp - is we leave the plug in and fill up the shower pan. Dump the black tank first - then we empty the shower pan to clean out the dump vavle - or if no showers are needed we replace the cap and pour some soapy water down the kitchen sink - make sure the plug is in the shower drain - and at our next stop we would let the the grey water out into the next hookup or into the blue buggy (note this is the water that could have some trace black water and not very responsible to let drain out on the road or even a parking lot). The only draw back we see with have the same main drain for both on the vintage.

If we keep the GT in the future - we will consider installing separate main drains.

For a floor mat we use one of those foam squares that can hook up to make a large area - okay so ours is colour coded too - we have a blue or a yellow one - they can get wet - save the scratches and are nice on the feet.

There is plenty of room to do your thing in the bathroom - my only problem is the replacement new toilet is just a little higher and my feet dangle hmmmmtoomuchinfo

Good luck - happy camping and remember you only spend a tiny % in the Lue

I have lots of pics of our "Head" if you need them - just pm me too or check out our photo gallery
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote