Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Bowling Green , Missouri
Wax ring????

We just replaced the toilet in our '62 Trade Wind with a Thetford AquaMagic Style Plus. The rubber lower seal appeared to have fit correctly, but after one weekend of use, we have a small water leak (in our new Pergo Flooring?!)
Should I try to put some type of sealer on the rubber ring, or replace it with a household wax ring.

Nothing worse that a water leak from a new toilet onto a new floor.

Thanks

Retrocats
retrocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrocats
We just replaced the toilet in our '62 Trade Wind with a Thetford AquaMagic Style Plus. The rubber lower seal appeared to have fit correctly, but after one weekend of use, we have a small water leak (in our new Pergo Flooring?!)
Should I try to put some type of sealer on the rubber ring, or replace it with a household wax ring.

Thanks

Retrocats
I would stick with the rubber ring and try to snug up the bolts a bit. The wax ring doesn't work well under vibration. It was designed to be seated one time and one time only. The rubber will give and take under the vibration and normally remain sealed.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
The wax ring doesn't work well under vibration. It was designed to be seated one time and one time only.
Aaron
Ditto. Great advice.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
We are working on fixing our toilet in our '64 Bambi II so needed to replace the ring too. We picked up a rubber one at our local RV store for $3.79.

Here are the package details for anyone interested in this product:

Thetford Corp.
Telephone: 800-521-3032
Model #33239
Seal-Cl. Flange
Sku # 028985332398

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Did the new floor add thickness and thus possibly leave the throat of the toilet above the sewer pipe. While the rubber ring may be tight to the floor if this gap is present water may have a path to the edge of the floor.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:

Thanks

Retrocats
Wax rings don't work in RVs. I have NEVER seen one used!

Every RV toilet has it's own design-specific rubber sealing ring. On the Thetford, be certain that you have it in correctly as there IS a top and bottom. The tapered edge goes down into the receiving discharge tube, with the flat inside edge frimly placed on the toilet base tube.

If it IS placed in the correct orientation, then tighten the bolts, especially after a week's use. That should solve the problem, provided that the sealing ring is intact.

Kind-a-like re-torquing your lug nuts after the first 100 miles .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Bowling Green , Missouri
thanks

The toilet is new so obviously the rubber ring is new also, and is on correct.
I rebuilt the raised floor under and around the toilet, and it is the same heighth as the old. So that there would not be an issue, the Pergo flooring was installed around the toilet, not under it.

Due to the age of the original black tank, I did not want to tighten the bolts too much, for fear of cracking it, so perhaps did not get them snug enough. The toilet seems to be very solidly perched, however. I read on another forum that perhaps the metal ring of the tank was not clean enough, and that I should clean it, and then add a ribbon of silicone around it before reinstalling the toilet.

I'm ready to try whatever will work.

Retrocats
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
, the tank was not clean enough, and that I should clean it, and then add a ribbon of silicone around it before reinstalling the toilet.

I'm ready to try whatever will work.

Retrocats
I wouldn't use silicone or any other type of sealant on that rubber seal. It will not work as a substitute for a bad seal. Plus, having just had to remove a seal that the owner 'siliconed' in when he thought that it would fix his leak, it took me over an hour just to get the old seal removed.

USE SILICONE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! IT HAS NO PLACE ON AN AIRSTREAM , IMHO!!!

Rant over now
Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I wouldn't use silicone or any other type of sealant on that rubber seal.
USE SILICONE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! IT HAS NO PLACE ON AN AIRSTREAM , IMHO!!!
Don't beat around the bush; why don't you tell us what you really feel?

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I just installed a new Sealand in my GT, and used Silicone on the sealing surfaces per the manufacturers instructions. ??
I hope I'm not relegated to the ranks of SOB now. :-)
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Hummmmmm. . . . (sound of chin stoking and one raised eyebrow)

I think the manual recommends 'glazing compound' around the perimeter, not on the sealing surfaces.

OFF TO SOB LAND WITH YE!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You say the toilet is "New". The supply line and flush valve are possible points of the leak. Up until now we have been thinking the leak happened as a result of a flush. Consider takening the toilet up and out of the trailer and setting it up with a water supply and letting it sit for an hour or so then check.

New thing don't always need good things.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
wax ring

I guess I am being a contrarian here but I admit to installing a new Thetford toilet w a wax ring.
I'll admit it was in a SOB (Cameo). When I installed the toilet it always had a water leak. I checked about everything, even the level of the floor and any imperfections around the base. Used a new rubber gasket, tightened it, added washers to the bolts, etc, etc, etc.
My reservation at the time was the heat in the trailer when it was stored (live in western Co where the temps regularly hit 100+).Was concerned it would melt and the seal would be lost. Had not thought of the vibration angle.
All I can say is the toilet never leaked for the several years I owned it. I sold it to a friend who still uses the trailer and has had no problems.

JMHA
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
SILICONE However a light coating of silicone GREASE might not be out of order to help keep things "moving" the way they should

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
SILICONE However a light coating of silicone GREASE might not be out of order to help keep things "moving" the way they should

Aaron
Now, that's a horse of a different color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...........and a totally different material
Old 04-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Wax Ring?

I recently overlaid the vinyl floor in our 2000, 30' Excella. Had a problem loosening the toilet flange to raise it to the heighth of the laminate floor (about 3/8"). So, I had to make a new (thicker). I bought 2 new rubber toilet gaskets from my local dealer. Cemented them together on the flat side( Gorilla Glue). I then had a double thick rubber gasket with a taper on both sides.
I simply cut the taper off of one side so it was square, and put that side towards the toilet. I used silicone grease on the inside and on the mating surfaces. I did the "flood test", as described by the Thetford installation instructions, it held water for 24 hours.
I worked for me..

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Bowling Green , Missouri
thanks

Well now I have several options to try, including the fact that it may not be a leak caused by the flush. Hmmm.
Think I might try the silicone grease next.
Thanks to all who shared ideas.

We bought this unit as a fixer-upper as it had been sitting for several years.
We almost passed it up as my wife was diagnosed with cancer about the same time. We had not been campers before but we decided not to let that stop us, so bought it anyway. We have everything functional now (including the leak!) and are able to make at least a camping trip per month. We still have a ways to go to get it completely done. My wife has been through a dozen surgeries, chemo and radiation, and is now cancer free thanks to the grace of God. I think that makes our camping trips even that much more enjoyable.

Thanks again
Retrocats
Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Preparing to pull our commode as well. It was loose and the gasket non- existant.
Glad to hear your wife is doing well...hey, airstreaming is good medicine!
Keep us up to date on the commode leak.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Now, that's a horse of a different color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...........and a totally different material
So I got on-line and looked up the instructions - it does say glazing compound. I would swear that the universal adaptor kit instructions said silicone sealer. But then my memory isn't what it used to be, and was never great.
So - now that I have "contaminated" my toilet with silicone (somehow that just doesn't sound right) how bad is it? Just wait for it to leak or what??
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
So I got on-line and looked up the instructions - it does say glazing compound. I would swear that the universal adaptor kit instructions said silicone sealer. But then my memory isn't what it used to be, and was never great.
So - now that I have "contaminated" my toilet with silicone (somehow that just doesn't sound right) how bad is it? Just wait for it to leak or what??
Dave
Dave,
You probably won't have to wait too long! I would get a new bottom seal and go ahead and replace it now. gop it up all you want with that greasey kid stuff!!

Like the old guy says in that movie says: "ya can pays me now or ya can pays me later"

I replace toilet seals on a regular basis, and I have not had one call back yet for either the bottom seals or the top seal from the ball or slide. In fact, in any Thetford seal replacement kit, they ALWAYS include a new bottom seal.