Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

water won't stay in the bowl

I believe our toilet is a thetford, the vintage of the trailer is 74, and most things are original, so I would assume that it is. The toilet works well, and we have used it for three years. However, when you fill the toilet bowl with water, it leaks out gradually. Any reason for this? We have cleaned regularly with solution and brushes, but it still won't retain the water. Is this normal, and if not, any ideas how to remedy this problem.
Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsltootsie
I believe our toilet is a thetford, the vintage of the trailer is 74, and most things are original, so I would assume that it is. The toilet works well, and we have used it for three years. However, when you fill the toilet bowl with water, it leaks out gradually. Any reason for this? We have cleaned regularly with solution and brushes, but it still won't retain the water. Is this normal, and if not, any ideas how to remedy this problem.
Thanks.
You can repair that problem in one of three ways.

1. Change the slide valve gasket, andf take your chances.

2. Change the slide valve and lessen the chances.

3. Replace the entire flush mechanism which includes the water valve. That cures the problem and takes cares of the water valve that is 33 years old.

If the new flush mechanism only lasts another 33 years, then you probably got your moneys worth.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
The PO of our 85 Excella made a handy little tool out of a wire coat hanger in sort of an L shape with an extra loop at the top as a grip. He said toilet paper occasionaly gets stuck in the slot where the (hold onto your shorts, technical verbage to follow) slider thingy door moves back and forth. We've used it once or twice and it is great. Don't know if this could be your problem but I will say I know when the toilet paper is stuck in there because the water slowly drains out.

BTW: The PO also used a wire coat hanger to make a thing that keeps the fridge and freezer doors open slightly when in storage to prevent mold and mildew. Great guy, great tools.

Mrs_RedSHED
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Quote:
BTW: The PO also used a wire coat hanger to make a thing that keeps the fridge and freezer doors open slightly when in storage to prevent mold and mildew. Great guy, great tools.
Sounds like really neat tools so long as you don't get them mixed up!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebb
Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebb
Great minds think alike
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Spring for a new one or as Andy said:
"Replace the entire flush mechanism which includes the water valve. That cures the problem and takes cares of the water valve that is 33 years old"

I replaced the flush mechanism 2 years ago, and while not the most pleasant of tasks a most rewarding one.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Our 73 Thedford is doing the same thing. Cleaning out the groove no longer helps. The mechanism that needs to be replaced. Is it still available? If so I am surprised, but not complaining. Any idea on pricing?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Our 73 Thedford is doing the same thing. Cleaning out the groove no longer helps. The mechanism that needs to be replaced. Is it still available? If so I am surprised, but not complaining. Any idea on pricing?
mine too. what exactly is "the mechanism"...it includes the water valve? I replaced a leaky ball valve a couple of seasons ago, so that part is ok.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
mine too. what exactly is "the mechanism"...it includes the water valve? I replaced a leaky ball valve a couple of seasons ago, so that part is ok.
The Thetford "mechanism" is everything except the plastic toilet bowl and seat.

They are available for toilets going back to 1973.

It has the ball valve, the slide valve, springs, foot pedal, etc, etc.

The real way to fix an old toilet, as you can be done with it for another 30 years.

Replacing the mechanism, piece by piece, is not the way to go, unless there was a premature failure.

Andy
Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
sounds like it would be very quickly approaching the point of "just buy a new toilet"

then again, I thought I heard somewhere that the "new" toilets won't fit the space, so maybe thats the only option.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Keep the seat up

Quote:
Chuck, mine came with a new
sphincter valve, keegel tightener, and some other small parts

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
sounds like it would be very quickly approaching the point of "just buy a new toilet"

then again, I thought I heard somewhere that the "new" toilets won't fit the space, so maybe thats the only option.
You gave up the privilege of having a "simple" life when you bought your Airstream.

Andy
Old 07-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
You gave up the privilege of having a "simple" life when you bought your Airstream.

Andy
ya. now you tell me....

(actually, replacing the ball valve was simple; getting the toilet out so that I could access it was a nightmare. )
Old 07-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
ya. now you tell me....

(actually, replacing the ball valve was simple; getting the toilet out so that I could access it was a nightmare. )
Well, if you just asked tomorrow, I could have told you last week.

Andy
Old 07-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

[quote=Inland RV Center, In]You can repair that problem in one of three ways.

1. Change the slide valve gasket, andf take your chances.

2. Change the slide valve and lessen the chances.

3. Replace the entire flush mechanism which includes the water valve. That cures the problem and takes cares of the water valve that is 33 years old.

If the new flush mechanism only lasts another 33 years, then you probably got your moneys worth.

Andy

Sounds like I'll be talking to "your people" in the near future. Thanks for your help, and everyone's entertainment, and information!! I will try the toilet tool, and may even make the fridge tools as well, but I guess in the long run, we will be ordering all the new thingmabobbers (more technical speak) that Andy suggests. While a new toilet sounds like another alternative, I think we will stick with the original for hopefully another 30 some years! May life go smooooooothly for you all!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Having owned three AS over past 35 years I have had toilets in and out many times. You take it out to replace a part , put it back and something leaks or another part needs replacing. Andy is right, replace the whole valve, pedal and works assembly and do it once. If however your current bowl is scratched or stained replace the whole toilet. I haven't really enjoyed "hugging" the bowl to disconnect and reconnect the water supply line. In the 73 and 74's with rear bath they had a fold down, padded wood cover. I think if you remove that cover the newer Thetford toilets will fit. If you replace the whole valve assembly be cautious not to strip the screw holes in the plastic. When you replace the screws, turn them backward slowly until you feel them click into the existing thread. If you don't do that you can accidentally cut new threads and strip the existing threads in that hole. Charlie E
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

toilet tips

Some very good tips, and thank you! I'm not sure which route we will take at this point. Right now we are enjoying using our trailer at Cape May, and water thingy will have to wait until we are home again.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Just an aside - I had the same problem with a not-quite 1 year old unit. The water would gradually seep out. Hubby thought he'd have to replace stuff, until we noticed that if we lifted our foot off the flush pedal (for lack of a better term) with a sharper, more quick motion than we were previously using, it would close more firmly and voila. No more water seeping out.
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
Just an aside - I had the same problem with a not-quite 1 year old unit. The water would gradually seep out. Hubby thought he'd have to replace stuff, until we noticed that if we lifted our foot off the flush pedal (for lack of a better term) with a sharper, more quick motion than we were previously using, it would close more firmly and voila. No more water seeping out.
Mac,

The foot flush mechanism in your '05 should NOT be operating like that! You have either a weak return spring or a sticky ball valve gasket. It should also be under warranty (depending on the manuf.). I would check with your dealer or service center first.

If no warranty, it's an easy fix. Let me know if you need more info on this.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote