Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2003, 05:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Water faucets

Both faucets, kitchen and bath, in my '72 Sovereign drip when "closed". Can I replace them with something from Home D or are they special? Can they be rebuilt? Where are parts/replacements available? Thanks! John
otha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 05:52 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

The whole beauty of Airstreams is they used "real" faucets not Rv faucets. Chris replaced all the washers etc. in our 1972 Overlander (to stop the drips) with the Moen parts available at any hardware store when we first her. Recently he put in a new Delta extendable faucet in the motorhome kitchen sink, soap dispensers in kitchen and bathroom and a new shower hose/head in the shower, all from home depot. We are going to have to order the Bathroom faucet as we are going to stay with the 80's gold instead of changing everything else.
It was one of his weekends that it was way to hot to work on anything outside the motorhome. As I have said before you don't need a hobby you have an Airstream.
Chris&MareinMN
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I agree

Your best bet would be to replace the cartridges. They are the original Moen faucets, correct? Just a warning though, sometimes the original cartridges can be stubborn to get out, you may have to purchase a cartridge puller to remove them. The original ones are brass but you can replace them with plastic ones, they won't seize up as bad as the brass. If you put them in and the hot and colds are reversed, remove the handle and turn the stem 180 degrees.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 04:58 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks folks. Its nice to hear that something might actually be an easy fix, and I don't mean that just in reference to the Airstream! One more question: the faucets don't have any brand name on them, or any way to identify them when asking for parts. Can I just take the cartridge out and take it in to be matched up? Or how do I find the correct cartridge? I guess if I can't find the cartridge I just replace the faucet, right?
otha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 05:23 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would be 99% sure they are Moen. I would take the cartridge out and have it to match up at the store though. The kitchen faucet should have a flat toppec cap with a flower looking pattern on it. The bath faucets usally have a plastic handle , but I can't remember what the knob covers looked like.

One other option if you can get the cartidges out without much trouble is that you could just replace all of the O rings. It will save a few $$ but is more work. New cartridge and a tube of NSF lube for the rings makes it a 5 min. job.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Once you have the old ones out soak all the parts in VINEGAR full strength until all the hard water deposits are gone.This also works to get the handles off- once the screw is out ,drip some vinegar into the screw hole for a day or so.All the o-rings and washers for mine were easily obtainable at the hardware store.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote