Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #1

2014 30' International
birmingham , Alabama
Very low water pressure to galley and shower. Toilet and bath faucet work as usual

I'm in a 2014 international 30'. I use it daily as my office. Everything was working fine until we took it out to camp a couple of weeks. I hooked up the city water, turned on water heater (elect.), then turned on hot water to get air out of lines, then turned on cold water to get air out of the lines. I noticed after a few hours that the water pressure was low in the galley and shower, but toilet and bath faucet worked as usual. I cleaned both screens on the galley faucet, but no improvement. Now I'm back and hooked up to city water at my shop. I have very little water pressure at the shower and no water coming out of the galley sink even with the hose disconnected from the handle. The toilet and bath faucet work as usual. Could a supply line be clogged somewhere? I've only had the trailer about a year so I haven't worked on it enough to be well acquainted with everything yet. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
lanewoodwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

That is unusual IMO. When you cleaned the sediment filters in the faucets, did you notice any odd material, or find a substantial amount of grit and debris?

For both the kitchen and shower one-handled valves to exhibit the same symptoms at the same time, suggests in my opinion that the same debris material might have clogged them up at the same time.

Any chance your water tank has a bunch of crud in it, that got sucked up when the water level was low? Do you recall having the water tank get fairly empty recently, and using the pump then?

I would open the drain valve for the water tank, and put a big pan or bucket under it, so that you can capture and examine what comes out. If the tank stops draining well before it is empty per the monitor, it is possible that you have some crud at the bottom.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- It will be easier to talk about the cold and hot water lines separately IMO. Are the cold lines working any differently than the hot? Also you may have a mixing valve that tempers the water coming out of the water heater, to prevent scalding. That could be an issue too, but usually only with the hot side of things IMO.

PS2 -- Do you use an inline water filter in the hose, both for filling the water tank, and for city water? All the time? Even city water can have debris in it if they are working on the water mains.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
** what OTRA said ** Every two years or so I've found a bit of black crud in one or more of the proximity filter screens at the faucet(s). Just a quick rinse out and we're good. The best protection is the inline filter just out side your city water inlet. Keep things running free AND takes out a bit of local flavor at the same time. We always filter, even when filling from home well (although that's probably not required).
TAC VA-18 | ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You have independent hot and cold water lines to each faucet. For you to have *no* water at the faucet, either:

1) Both the hot and cold feed lines are plugged

-- or --

2) The problem is at or after the mixing valve

It's pretty unlikely that two feed lines are plugged on the same faucet at the same time (but only on this or that faucet).

Here's what happens:

You sit with the trailer stationary and bits of crud come in from the city water. They settle here and there. The piles accumulate, but don't do much. Down the road you go. The piles get all churned up by the bumpy road. You now have lots of crud in the water lines. Turn on a faucet and it's crud city. Blocking a strainer or a valve is not at all unusual. With some valves, replacement is the only solution.

Quick check:

Grab a big bucket
Turn off the city water feed and depressurize
Disconnect the hot or cold feed to the galley and route it to the bucket
Briefly turn on the city water to partially fill the bucket.

At this point you know the feed is ok on at least one side

Hook the line back up
Pull the galley faucet strainer, check for flow.
No flow = it's the valve

Even at home, I have valve problems from time to time. It's not that uncommon.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanewoodwork View Post
. . . Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! Just wondering if you are monitoring this discussion?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
clean the water line heading into the pump, there is a filter that clogs.
David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Under the theory of "check the easy things first," if the faucet and shower head have aeration screens, unscrew them to see if the screens are clogged, before delving deeper into the plumbing.