Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ugh! shower leak detected.

This past week we used the shower for the first time often and long. We were at a campground with a sewer hook-up for the first time and so did not have the gray water holding tank constraint. Previously the shower was only used like on a sailboat, so the problem did not rear it's ugly head.

It is potentially an ugly problem because on the '03 Safari 6 Sleeper the under-shower area is not accessible. At least not without taking a lot of stuff apart. What I observed was water dripping from where the BLACK water pipe comes through the bottom of the trailer, directly under the shower enclosure. Now I know that the shower dumps into the gray water plumbing, so I believe the water is just making its way out of the trailer by way of this opening. The leak only occurs when the shower is on, but not consistently. When one of our teenagers is in the shower, it leaks. When I put in the plug, placed the shower head on the floor of the shower and filled the bottom of the shower with a couple inches of water, no leak. When I left the shower head attached to the wall and just let it run, it leaked sometimes.

My guess (and my hope) is that the problem is with the caulking of the waist seam of the enclosure. Anyone encountered this one? Anyone have any ideas of other possible causes? I know it's under warranty, but that's a 300 mile round trip (times two very likely). I also have an irrational fear of the dealer completely removing the toilet and shower while chasing this problem and inadvertantly creating other problems. All opinions and ideas are welcomed!

Thanks,

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Fix Report

I finally had time to examine the shower carefully and found three (!!!) gaps in the sealant that makes the enclosure watertight. It appears that the quality assurance folks were not as diligent as they should be in this area.

For what it's worth, here is what I found: There was one small gap between the two halves of the enclosure clamshell and two other small gaps in hard-to-see spots where the enclosure meets the floor, in a dark spot next to the sliding "door". I haven't tested it yet, but I am pretty sure this was the issue. I will be very relieved if this proves out, because getting underneath access to the drain pipe is not easy on a Safari 6 Sleeper. It looks like you have to remove the shower enclosure and that would be no picnic.

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote