Well, I've gutted the interior of my 1973 31' Sovereign
right down to the plywood floor. To date I've removed over 1400 lbs of original equipment, not including the refrigerator
Removed the toilet and the floor under it. We welded 2 x 1/4" angle iron bracing to the rusting original frame and have fabricated a new sheet metal pan for the waste tank.
The rear storage portion of the bumper (read "water problem") has been eliminated.
All of the systems have been scrapped.(water heater, furnace, etc.)
I'll be replacing all of the original copper plumbing with pex, and re-routing the pvc drain and vent pipe.
I own a high end custom cabinet shop and will be building an unbelievable luxury interior. Purists please understand, this is not a restoration project. The finished product will be far superior to any original Airstream offering, old or new.
I have some thoughts, ideas and questions.
1. The original interior layout was very divided, I'll be eliminating most of the upper cabinetry and all of the full height divider walls. I'm going for a roomier "open" floorplan.
2. This particular rear bath design had frame problems associated with the waste tank and water heater so far behind the rear axle. I'm considering eliminating the waste tank entirely, in favor of a porta-pottie or cassette type of toilet.
I could then build a larger step-down shower in the recessed floor area originally dedicated to the waste tank.
3. Is there a gas fired tankless water heater available for an RV?
4. The original ducted furnace took too much space, I'll be adding a new air conditioner/heat pump on the roof. Any suggestions on make and model?
Probably a wall mounted radiant unit too. Again, any suggestions?
5. Obviously the oven's out, in favor of a built in micro/convection unit. Probably a toaster oven in a cabinet, too.
6. I'll replace the cooktop and fridge.
7. Considering an automated drop-down flat screen tv in the stereo/electronics cabinet (already removed) area in the front of the trailer.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of project?
What are the hidden pitfalls?
Are there any books or resources available?