Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Toilet sprayer woes

Disclaimer: I used the search before I started this thread.

My '72 Safari has a Thetford "Aqua Magic". The hand sprayer with the toilet was cracked and leaked so I disconnected the head and just stuck the hose end in the toilet. Of course there are the inevitable hassles when it slips out and you don't notice and flush and water squirts out.... I got a kitchen sink sprayer to replace the end, but the fittings are different. Next I got the whole sprayer assembly (hose and sprayer) from Home Depot, thinking I'd just replace the whole thing.

Well that's a nearly impossible task. I took the 12 --count 'em--12 screws out of the back of the toilet thinking I could access the sprayer fitting there, but noooooo Next I got a mirror and flashlight and looked up the back of the toilet to confirm my suspicions that the hose for the sprayer is attached up in there permanently--it looks like. Next, I took the sprayer/hose kit I got at HD apart and compared the fittings. The ones on Thetford are smaller than the ones on the HD sprayer. So, is it possible to replace the sprayer or are we stuck just sticking it in the toilet forever? I even wondered about cutting the hose, trying to find some sort of plastic tubing that would fit inside both and then taping the whole thing back together with the Home depot sprayer on the end of this kludge. Any better suggestions?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Would it not make sense to get the right sprayer head from Thetford?
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I went to Thetford's website and it looks like they don't carry sprayers. Also looked at the Camping world website...nada for any kind of sprayer except outside shower. I have a feeling that this is another one of those obsolete configurations. We joked that the sprayer would make the toilet a Wally Bidet if it worked.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I think the thetford part number for the hose complete with spray head is 19289.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
thanks big al. It looked like, from Thetford's site, that it wasn't sold separately. Now, since you are clearly so knowledgeable, perhaps you could provide some more insight. It looks nearly impossible to replace the whole assembly without--cue screechy violins from Psycho music--taking off the whole toilet. The hose is in fine shape, it's just the head that's the problem.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
cadoc

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Isabella , California
Compelled to Respond

Hi Blu Hwy Lady, I'm compelled to respond with my apprieciation for the belly laughs I got with your sprayer woes. Not at you, mind you, with you. You been livin' AirStyle for a while so I know you've come to appreciate the preplexity of beautiful puzzles. I'm new to these forums, such that I don't even have a picture posted of my new project & future home, a '72 31' Sov (I can't remember how to spell it yet). I found your post when I searched for "hand flush or foot flush" cause i'm going to avoid repeating a similarly wet phase of experimentation and just replace the toilet,, sprayer and all!
I trust all is well for you now with no loose surprises lurking at knee level.
Peace
cadoc
cadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I just replaced my toilet in my '72, I might (?) still have the sprayer if interested. I'm at work, I'll be back home Monday. If interested PM me. I can't promise I didn't throw it away with the old throne....
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Thetford sells an upgrade kit to add a sprayer, buy that and uksed the head.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote