Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Question Toilet Sprayer Valve Leak

Today I finally connected up a hose to the city water inlet and turned on the water. Unfortunately I had to turn it off after a few seconds because of a plumbing leak in the rear compartment under the toilet (actually it is on the street side of the rear compartment almost above the Univolt). The leak is coming from a brass "valve type thingy" that is in the line to the toilet sprayer. It looks like one of those domed vacuum breaker things that in-ground sprinklers have and that generally leak each year when you start them up because of debris in the sealing area.

In our trailer this thing was attached with screw type fittings, but then soldered so that the fittings cannot be removed. I think this was done at the factory. Unfortunately the dome is rivited on to this valve thingy (not screwed on as for in-ground sprinkler systems) so I cannot remove the head to check the state of the seal to see if it need to be cleaned, or perhaps replaced. The only option I see right now is getting the tubbing cutter out and removing it. Are there any other options?

What exactly is this thing (sorry I don't have a picture), and do I really need it (does it perhaps prevent backflow or reduce the pressure going to the plastic sprayer head)? If so, where can I get a replacement?

Or is there some way I might be able to clean or check this thing out without removing it?

All advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Joe
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
A Vacuum Breaker to Prevent Back Siphonage???

I poked around on the web and now think this is a vacuum breaker to prevent possibly contaminated water (think drop sprayer into toilet bowl) from siphoning back into the main clean water supply. Here is a link to the closest thing I have found so far: Conbraco Vacuum Breaker

It appears that newer toilets have this valve integrated right into them, where ours is a separate item. Unforntunately, these things are made to spray water into the surrounding area when pressure is applied or released. Could Airstream really have put such an item in a storage compartment near the Univolt? I would hope not, but I'm pretty sure this thing was factory installed (having known all the previous owners).

If I need to replace it there appears to be a similar item that at least would allow for a hose to put on it to direct the released water to a safe place: Conbraco Backflow Preventer

Am I on the right track???

Joe
Old 06-06-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Slaon Vacuum Breaker

Well, after cutting this thing out I found out it is labeled as follows on the cap" " Sloan Valve Co., Chicago USA, V-360-A, Vacuum Breaker". The tpo was removable with a wrench and had a gasket inside that looked like a standard hose washer, only thinner. I cleaned the seats back up and put in a standard hose washer that I had lying around. I tmeporarily plumbed it back in using some hose and clamps and it leaked worse than ever. Now I've got it removed again and have the pipe temporaroily plugged so that I could find all of the other leaks.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this thing to stop leaking?

P.S. I found another one of these things plumbed into the main flush line for the toilet and (knock on wood) that one isn't leaking. Whis is good, because it is also in a hard to reach location.

Joe
Old 06-07-2004, 07:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Toilet Sprayer Valve Leak

Greetings Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Well, after cutting this thing out I found out it is labeled as follows on the cap" " Sloan Valve Co., Chicago USA, V-360-A, Vacuum Breaker". The tpo was removable with a wrench and had a gasket inside that looked like a standard hose washer, only thinner. I cleaned the seats back up and put in a standard hose washer that I had lying around. I tmeporarily plumbed it back in using some hose and clamps and it leaked worse than ever. Now I've got it removed again and have the pipe temporaroily plugged so that I could find all of the other leaks.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this thing to stop leaking?

P.S. I found another one of these things plumbed into the main flush line for the toilet and (knock on wood) that one isn't leaking. Whis is good, because it is also in a hard to reach location.

Joe
You might try taking the valve to a plumbing shop that has been in business for a number of years and see if they can repair the valve or match it functionally with a new valve. There is a plumbing shop where I live that has records of when they replaced the coal furnace in my home back in 1947, and they have been able to repair or find replacements for about any plumbing component that I have taken in for repair.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Using Google to search, I found a place that sells rebuild kits.

https://www.statesupply.com/displayCategory.do?Id=981

It is at least a place to start.
BW_LandYacht36MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Thumbs up Thanks . . .

BW (can I call you that?),
You saved me some grief. Now I've just got to figure out if I should order the 3/8", 1/2", or 3/4" rebuild kit. I'll call them tomorrow to confirm. I'm guessing the size relates to the pipes plumbed to the valve. In that case, I'll need the 3/8" kit, but I might go ahead and order a kit for the toilet breaker as well, I think that one might be a 1/2". Anyway, many thanks again.

Joe
Old 06-21-2004, 01:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Talking Closing the Loop

I received the Sloan Vacuum Breaker rebuild kit on Friday and installed it on Saturday. It works great. The biggest challenge was sweating the pipes back together where I cut them to temporarily remove the valve and plug the line.

While this rebuild kit was hard to locate, it appears to be a currently (or recently) produced item from the packaging (bright white label, barcode, etc.).

One more item off the list, . . . many, many more to go. But were goin' to the WBCCI International next Saturday regardless of how many items aren't yet crossed off the "to do" list.

Joe