Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 11:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Toilet Seal?

We had to leave FL in DEC to assist a family member with chemo-therapy.
Just went to FL for a week (last week).

Checked toilet to see about water remaining in the bowl. No water. I poured some cooking oil into the bowl. It drained out pretty quickly.
So, due to having to get back to CO, simply closed the toilet lid and made a promise to address it when I get back to FL permanently.

So, here are my questions . . .
1. Will anything rejuvenate the seal or do I have to replace it?
2. After making sure I have a working seal, if I pour some pink RV water line anti-freeze into the toilet bowl, will it keep the seal flexible, and will it evaporate?
Hoping it won't evaporate and it keeps the seal more supple. Seems like it should.

What do you think: Is pink RV antifreeze in toilet bowl a good idea vs either water or cooking/vegetable oil?
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I have this issue ossasionally and I know that one of these days I'm going to have to replace the seal but in the mean time, grab a jar of Vaseline and a pair of rubber gloves.
Make sure the water is turned off to the toilet at the valve and depress the pedal.
Once there is no more water flowing into the bowl, and the flap is open, put a glob of Vaseline on your finger and spread a thin layer all around under the lip where the water drains and then release the foot pedal.
Operate the pedal a couple of times and turn the water back on or just pour some water down.
Usually keeps mine working for the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
We had to leave FL in DEC to assist a family member with chemo-therapy.
Just went to FL for a week (last week).

Checked toilet to see about water remaining in the bowl. No water. I poured some cooking oil into the bowl. It drained out pretty quickly.
So, due to having to get back to CO, simply closed the toilet lid and made a promise to address it when I get back to FL permanently.

So, here are my questions . . .
1. Will anything rejuvenate the seal or do I have to replace it?
2. After making sure I have a working seal, if I pour some pink RV water line anti-freeze into the toilet bowl, will it keep the seal flexible, and will it evaporate?
Hoping it won't evaporate and it keeps the seal more supple. Seems like it should.

What do you think: Is pink RV antifreeze in toilet bowl a good idea vs either water or cooking/vegetable oil?
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
First make sure that the seal closes properly. We thought we had a leaky seal. Turns out that one of the two pivot points had popped out. It is difficult to tell from the seal but it will look very slightly shifted.

Seal replacement is easy and does not require removing the toilet. I had already bought a new seal so I replaced it.

For winterizing, I pour a little olive oil on the seal.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:05 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Do NOT use vaseline or any petroleum based lubricant.
Get some RV seal lube, fill to cover the valve, let sit for 24hrs. May need several applications. Plumbers grease is also an option.
Plus..Do not leave RV antifreeze in the bowl. I did and had to remove the toilet to replace the valve after two winters.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Toilet Seal Responses

THX for reports on toilet seal concerns and best practices.
When I am back in FL I will try the rejuvenate suggestion and use with olive/cooking oil.
pc
Old 04-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I've left RV antifreeze in the bowl every winter for 14 years without problems. Most likely black water seals get nasty with TP and solids and have to be cleaned periodically—this includes toilet, black tank knife valve and sewer hoses. Some eventually have to be replaced. Grease helps, make your choice which one to use.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I've left RV antifreeze in the bowl every winter for 14 years without problems.
Me too.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I've left RV antifreeze in the bowl every winter for 14 years without problems. Most likely black water seals get nasty with TP and solids and have to be cleaned periodically—this includes toilet, black tank knife valve and sewer hoses. Some eventually have to be replaced. Grease helps, make your choice which one to use.
THX.
One comment said not to use RV Antifreeze. I assume it doesn't evaporate, not sure that is accurate (but since I don't have a bottle of RV Antifreeze I can't see the water content. Water based antifreeze seems unlikely). Wondered if it will leave a pink stain. Will check for both pivot point (that is something I think I need to see, You Tube videos only show a hand repositioning the pivot point) and possible obstruction preventing closing properly.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I’ve not had antifreeze stain anything. But maybe some plastics do stain and some seals do deteriorate depending on antifreeze used. Many toilets and sinks and antifreezes over the years. You could use water on the toilet seal to keep it wet. It will freeze, but not break anything because it is not contained in a small space. You can leave a little water in the tanks for the same reason. Plumbing lines can freeze and break with water in small space however.

We have used lubricants in black and grey tanks to keep knife valves lubricated, but eventually forgot to.

My guess the usual problem is something stuck in the seal.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Forget about rehabilitating the seal. Replacing the seal is very easy. It won’t take you more than 10 minutes. DO NOT remove the toilet. If the YouTube video is more than 6 minutes then they’re doing it wrong. I think I bought the new seal Amazon.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
There is more than one toilet seal. The one we are obsessing on seems to be the one for the knife valve that lets stuff out of the toilet into the black tank. There is one I think at the bottom of the toilet to keep stuff from leaking on the floor. If there isn't, why not? There is a toilet valve in the pipe to the toilet—that opens when you step on the lever. That valve can freeze when you don't make sure it is empty or full of antifreeze when winterizing and I think that requires the removal of the toilet on at least some trailers to replace it (it must have some seal in it too).

That puts a ceiling on seals for toilets.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I had the same problem because I didn't check the water level in the bowl and allowed it to dry up during a hot spell. After prematurely ordering a new seal I decided to remove and inspect the old one. It looked fine so I cleaned it, applied a coating of plumbers grease and reinstalled.

The toilet has not leaked since and now I have a reminder in my phone to check the water level once a week just in case. Oh, and I also now have a spare seal...

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
First make sure that the seal closes properly. We thought we had a leaky seal. Turns out that one of the two pivot points had popped out. It is difficult to tell from the seal but it will look very slightly shifted.

Seal replacement is easy and does not require removing the toilet. I had already bought a new seal so I replaced it.

For winterizing, I pour a little olive oil on the seal.
Fungus,

Did you ever figure out what caused the pivot to pop out of its socket? This just started happening on mine.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
We had this same problem, so I replaced the seal and lubricated it with plumbers grease. It’s somewhat better but still loses the water after a day. Any recommendations on what else we can do to fix this?
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
Did you ever figure out what caused the pivot to pop out of its socket? This just started happening on mine.

Randy
Randy,

I still don’t know what causes the pivot point to pop out. I’m wondering if a little olive oil on the seal every week of use would be a enough lubrication for the pedal to require less pressure. I have noticed that our pedal is a little stiffer today than when I first repaired it. Maybe the grandkids (last 48 hours) are less gentle with the pedal than the adults.

-Donald
Old 08-03-2021, 10:09 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
UPDATE
Thankfully, the family chemo-therapy ended with a physician's stating leukemia is in remission. We are blessed. MD said, "We thought you (the patient) were going to die." Another described the recovery as miraculous. Praise to the Lord.
As evidenced above, the AS Forum suggested 2 diagnoses for the toilet bowl not retaining water:
1-Seal dry, replace; 2-Ball Valve off out of place.
Went to trailer in anticipation of a trip next week. Cleaned the seal, it seemed OK.
Then opened ball valve, saw that it was not seated properly.
A minor adjustment and it snapped into place.
Held water perfectly.
So, thanks to the A S Forum responders--good info, easily understood! THX
Old 08-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Dometic Not Helpful

I sent the following message to Dometic Support:
I have a 7-year-old Dometic 310 toilet. The flush ball bracket keeps slipping out of its pivot point opposite from the foot pedal. I can reach in through the seal and put the pin on the ball bracket back in the hole in the toilet body and everything works fine until it slips out again. I cannot determine what causes it to slip out, but it doesn't stay fully inserted in the hole, and seems like there is very little tension on the mounting bracket to hold the pin in place. Is there an adjustment to be made, or a replacement part?
This was their response:
Good morning. There is no adjustment or replacement part for this to be fixed. Unfortunately, you would have to replace the whole unit.
Since then I have been keeping the seal well lubricated with plumbers grease, and we have been gently pressing down the pedal and bringing it back up. It hasn't jumped out again.

Randy

Old 08-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
What does "whole unit" mean? The whole toilet or what? If the whole toilet, I'd look at another brand. We have a ceramic toilet in our trailer of unknown brand and the knife valve is unsupported underneath. The seal is at the top, thus the valve slides underneath it. I assume over time the valve will sag a little. After 4 years, the valve would not close properly, so I put on food handler gloves* and with a screw driver got all the "stuff" from underneath the seal and put wheel bering grease on the valve. The valve works properly now and water stays in the bowl. So I guess periodic cleaning is necessary and the grease on the valve helps. And, yes, I washed the screw driver carefully so I can use it again to clean my teeth**.

I am wondering whether there is a way to stabilize the assembly in Randy's toilet. Can something be screwed to the floor that holds the assembly in place?

*Food handler gloves are for short term use and are really, really cheap. They fit loosely and can take abuse. You see them in restaurants for food prep. We get hundreds for the price of a hundred vinyl gloves. They have their place.

**You didn't take that seriously, did you? Toilet threads need some humor.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
The bracket that holds the ball and seal in place is like a big "C". If they had put some bracing in to make the arms stiffer, it would not be as loose in the pivot as it is.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
...and yes, the "whole Unit" means the whole toilet.