Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
bolinas , California
toilet replacement with household variety

My '86 33' Squarestream has chosen to settle down into an offroad stable location. I've built an appropriate septic setup to receive outflow and now seek good guidance if folks know how to best to the install and destroy as little as possible. Perhaps that just a dream? But just in case my heirs enjoy this rig as I have and want to take it along when I'm gone I'd like to not destroy entirely its stock integrity. Anyone with any thought on that?
Your wisdom and experience is appreciated

Ned

bol-gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
With absolutely no intention to be rude I would suggest you first find out who might want it when it is time to pass it on...and what their intentions for it would be. If their dream is to hang in it where you have it now then no need to worry about future on the road and traveling type plumbing. If their dream is to travel the country side then it moves the discussion in a very different direction.
If you face the sad fact that you are the last horizon then do with it what you need to enjoy from now until then.
I do realize this suggestion might create some uncomfortable times...but hopefully helps you ask questions to help you figure out what is best for what you want and need to do.
Best of luck what ever path you follow.

bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bol-gordon View Post
My '86 33' Squarestream has chosen to settle down into an offroad stable location. I've built an appropriate septic setup to receive outflow and now seek good guidance if folks know how to best to the install and destroy as little as possible. Perhaps that just a dream? But just in case my heirs enjoy this rig as I have and want to take it along when I'm gone I'd like to not destroy entirely its stock integrity. Anyone with any thought on that?
Your wisdom and experience is appreciated

Ned
I am told I am very direct, so bear that in mind.
First, you won't be around to care what anybody does with your trailer after you're gone, so make modifications you want, in order to enjoy it as you see fit.
To remove the toilet and replace with a household toilet, you'll need to remove the black tank, and plumb the toilet direct. While you're doing that, you'll also have no need for the grey tank, since you'll be connected to offboard sewer. Remove that, as well. You can connect the grey and black with a PVC or ABS Y, and send both off to wherever you're sending them.
If your heirs express an interest in keeping and using the trailer as a camper after you're gone, and you want to be considerate, save the holding tanks and connectors, and give them to the heir of your choice to store for their future use.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Might consider starting a thread in the Squarestream section.

Am presuming that the underlying question is (at least in part) about whether to use a residential toilet versus a RV / marine commode. My vote is to stick with the RV style as it is less maintenance in terms of winterizing. There are now replacements which resemble residential bowls.

To the rest of the internals, for the most part they are residential parts to start with (example: faucets). In terms of market value, any Squarestream in existence has most likely seen its max amount of price depreciation by this time, so rehab it how you want and the budget allows.

If anything, I'd focus on the easy gotchas like the A/C sagging to the point of touching the roof skin which in turn will create galvanic corrosion and a leak. While on the roof, I'd remove the caulk around the misc seams and apply a fresh layer of self-leveling caulk. Would also work all the way around the trailer by removing any sealant and replacing with caulk. (Hint: do not apply new caulk over existing as this is a short-term band-aid waiting for failure. Take the time and do it right )

A '86 33' is probably a front galley floorplan, if so, that is one of my favorites as it nicely separates all of the living spaces. Bonus is a *lot* of counter space for meal prep and lots of storage in general.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Most park model trailers do have a water flush toilet. A lot easier than managing the black tank. I have thought about this and have thought of no way I would want to mount a toilet in the same location except to remove the black tank.

My daughter had a macerating toilet mounted in her basement where there was no drain. I wonder if one of these would be a solution for what you want to do. The output from these goes through a small hose and come be routed across the top of the floor.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
There is no reason you can't use a residential toilet with the black tank left in place. You just have to empty it to the septic system often due to the extra amount of water. Leave the gray valve open all the time and dump the black when it gets full. Don't leave the black valve open. The black tank needs enough water to carry the solids out.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hamilton , Ontario
If we are taking votes I would second Overlander63. Enjoy and modify to your hearts desire and the next generation/owner can adjust as required.

ArrBee is offline   Reply With Quote