Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2004, 01:11 PM   #1

1966 24' Tradewind
Benicia , CA
Toilet removal?

Hello,

I just acquired a 1966 Tradewind. The toilet is original. The supporting base on the toilet has split in half entirely and the mounting screws for the base have sunk into the cracks. I would like to repair if possible to keep it original.

Anybody know how to properly remove the toilet for repair or replacement? I have no idea how to go about removal and I don't want to cause more damage than good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,
-Earl Flewellen
earlflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Welcome to the Forums!

My '67 Overlander has two screws attaching the toilet to the closet flange. Unless another vintage Tradewind owner can come to the rescue, a picture of your situation would help a lot.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #3

1966 24' Tradewind
Benicia , CA
toiling toilets

Tom,

Thanks for the warm welcome and for your response.
Alas, no pictures to share. From photos I've found of the 67 overlander bathroom, it seems to be the exact same setup.

The toilet bowl and base sit beneath the typical molded fiberglas bench in the bathroom. Two anchor bolts, one on each side, tie the square, black base to the flange.

I guess my real question is, do I remove the toilet through the back access or does it require removal of the bathroom molded panels? So any advice would be great.

-Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Welcome to the Forums!

My '67 Overlander has two screws attaching the toilet to the closet flange. Unless another vintage Tradewind owner can come to the rescue, a picture of your situation would help a lot.

Tom
Old 10-16-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Earl,

You may have a different layout than mine. Check this thread for an idea of what my layout is.

Does your toilet look like the picture below?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thetford_toilet2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	9147  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Toilets etc.

I have a 1968 Airstream and it had a broken base. I removed the two screws and removed the toilet. I probably should have tried bondo or something on the base. I bought a new Thedford toilet at Camping World and found that the outlet would not allow the toilet to fit back over the original hole. I finally bought a used Sealand toilet and put it in. I had to replace the water valve on the Sealand and then found that the valve would not blow out and froze and broke. Since then, I have taken the valve apart when winterizing and it has worked great.
Lyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:06 PM   #6

1966 24' Tradewind
Benicia , CA
Toilets etc.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to avoid replacing it entirely.

Since you took yours out, can you tell me how you did it? Looking at the toilet, it seems like it may not just slide out when the two anchor bolts are removed. Any tips on that end?
-earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyall
I have a 1968 Airstream and it had a broken base. I removed the two screws and removed the toilet. I probably should have tried bondo or something on the base. I bought a new Thedford toilet at Camping World and found that the outlet would not allow the toilet to fit back over the original hole. I finally bought a used Sealand toilet and put it in. I had to replace the water valve on the Sealand and then found that the valve would not blow out and froze and broke. Since then, I have taken the valve apart when winterizing and it has worked great.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:09 PM   #7

1966 24' Tradewind
Benicia , CA
toilets

Tom,
Thanks for the photo. Nope. That is not my toilet. I wish it were! Looks a bit easier to deal with. And thank you for the thread link. This has been helpful.
-earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Earl,

You may have a different layout than mine. Check this thread for an idea of what my layout is.

Does your toilet look like the picture below?

Tom
Old 10-17-2004, 02:35 AM   #8
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Toilet Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlflew
Hello,

I just acquired a 1966 Tradewind. The toilet is original. The supporting base on the toilet has split in half entirely and the mounting screws for the base have sunk into the cracks. I would like to repair if possible to keep it original.

Anybody know how to properly remove the toilet for repair or replacement? I have no idea how to go about removal and I don't want to cause more damage than good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,
-Earl Flewellen

I sure wish I'd watched the mobile RV guy who replaced mine 2 years ago. Now I not only can't give you the blow-by-blow steps, but I wouldn't know what to do if I needed it again.
I'm sure on here, you'll find the help you need.
When you replace it, get a good one. Mine is apparently a top of the line one, and the guy told me I'd always be glad it was.
Good flushing.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:40 AM   #9
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
One thing I would like to share, is that whatever 'sealant' or 'adhesive' you use to 'bond' it or make a seal...I'd BE CERTAIN to use something that is "FLEXIBLE' after it dries. Ask when you buy something---or better yet, READ on the label of the product, to be sure it is a flexible product when dry, Otherwise, when your Airstream is 'flexing down the road', it will break loose and break the seal.

Cat
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote