Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
Dallas , TX
Question Toilet Relocation

I have a 1972 Overlander with a rear bathroom setup that I'm planning to place on a ranch in a fixed location. I'm converting the bathroom to be more spacious that will have only the toilet, sink, and cabinets, with the shower moved to an outdoor spa like setup. I would like to move the toilet to where the shower was, and build a new floor over the plumbing I'll run from the toilet to the existing hole to the black water tank. Is this a feasible option, or does the toilet have to sit directly over the existing hole? Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!!
RoHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoHard View Post
I have a 1972 Overlander with a rear bathroom setup that I'm planning to place on a ranch in a fixed location. I'm converting the bathroom to be more spacious that will have only the toilet, sink, and cabinets, with the shower moved to an outdoor spa like setup. I would like to move the toilet to where the shower was, and build a new floor over the plumbing I'll run from the toilet to the existing hole to the black water tank. Is this a feasible option, or does the toilet have to sit directly over the existing hole? Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!!
A standard RV toilet really needs to sit directly over the tank, or you need a macerator pump to move the waste to the tank. A macerator is certainly an option for a setup like that if you want to preserve the tank system.

Other options ... If the trailer is at a fixed location and will never move again, and has water and sewer hookups, you could convert to a household flush toilet and hook up accordingly. Or you could use a composting toilet and do no plumbing at all.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #3

1972 27' Overlander
Dallas , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
A standard RV toilet really needs to sit directly over the tank, or you need a macerator pump to move the waste to the tank. A macerator is certainly an option for a setup like that if you want to preserve the tank system.

Other options ... If the trailer is at a fixed location and will never move again, and has water and sewer hookups, you could convert to a household flush toilet and hook up accordingly. Or you could use a composting toilet and do no plumbing at all.
Very well, that's exactly the information I'm looking for. I'm not familiar with a macerator pump, I'm looking them up finding ones for RV's with a variety from the $50 range through upper $200's. Do you know enough about them to make a suggestion on what I should look for in them? A composting toilet would also be a great way to go, but those can really cost some shiny dimes. I'm hesitant to make too many permanent changes towards the stationary location, just in case someday we do decide to put it on the road or for sale, I'd like to not make it too difficult for myself to convert back to those capabilities if possible. I've got a good feeling about this macerator pump though! Thank you!
RoHard is offline   Reply With Quote