Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2003, 08:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

toilet problems

ok i've read all the posts,now what .toilet won't hold water and oder coming in, have found two bolts holding throne to floor or tank, both bolts turn (nuts wont come off) anyone had this problem. not enough room to cut them off most especially the one in the -- hole--,what a place to put a bolt. surely someone else has had this problem.
ronnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I am new to your thread and don't know your history, I assume you have checked the grove in the toilet to see if any foreign object/matter is keeping the blade from fully closing. Also the two bolts that hold the toilet in place also fit in a flange on the floor with slotted holes, see if you can work them into the slots and remove it that way.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Loose closet bolts

If you can find a way to hold the nut from spinning (wrench, vise grips etc), you can put an acorn nut on top of the bolt and run the bolt downward through the bottom nut with a socket wrench on the acorn nut.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 12:26 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

crappy crapper

Firstly, you or an assistant could try lifting on toilet while you turn the nut. A thin shim wedged under the toilet could also be used to lift toilet and possibly exert enough pressure on the bolt to keep it from turning. Try spraying them with some WD-40 if they are still turning. As a last resort, you could buy one of those nut crackers they sell in specialty tool shops. They are about 5 inches long and tighten with a socket wrench until they break the nut off the bolt. You may have difficulty maneuvering it in place, especially to "the one in the --hole--", but with a little persistance, a lot of patience, and your tongue in the correct position, it just may work. Good luck!

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:39 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: toilet problems

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnieb
ok i've read all the posts,now what .toilet won't hold water and oder coming in, have found two bolts holding throne to floor or tank, both bolts turn (nuts wont come off) anyone had this problem. not enough room to cut them off most especially the one in the -- hole--,what a place to put a bolt. surely someone else has had this problem.
I replaced the old Thetford toilet in my '85 motorhome and had to completely re-build the platform on which it was mounted to accomodate the newer-style commode. Fortunately, my bolts weren't seized, but I had other problems.

Those nuts are a nightmare... and I don't know of any EASY way to get them out, particularly if they're seized. It sounds like the hold-down bolts have somehow either rounded out or slipped out of their grooves in the plastic mounting base.

Since your bowl won't hold water, it sounds like the gasket in the trap has either deteriorated or has debris in it. I'd check the gaskets and seals in the toilet bowl and make sure they're clean and free of debris before trying to disassemble the toilet. That may be all it takes, and you can carefully clean the gasket groove with a piece of wire and your sprayer hose.

If you're sure that your seals and gaskets are all clean and intact and you suspect a crack in the toilet bowl or a bad donut seal, then the toilet will probably have to come out; although with a cracked bowl or bad donut seal I'd suspect that you'd have wet carpet around the toilet when you use it.

I'd first recommend the penetrating oil over several days routine. Hopefully you'll be able to make some headway, but unfortunately I don't know of any way to get any other tool down the "hole" that would hold the bolt while you turn the nut.

You may be able to cut a large enough hole in the side of the base of the toilet with a hole saw to get a pair of long-nosed vice grips into the bolt location in the back. I don't have my trailer at home right now, so I can't look at mine to tell for sure. Barring that, as much as I hate to say it, cutting the old toilet off to get room to work may be your only option if the penetrating oil doesn't work.

Perhaps Inland Andy or someone else has some experience and a method that is easier and more practical than what I've offered!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote