Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1989 25' Excella
1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Toilet mounting flange

I started on the rear bath this weekend. I pulled the toilet out, it was loose and had been leaking. Removed all the old nasty carpet. The wood floor is surprisingly solid, just stained a little. (This is the trailer that had been sitting for over 7 years before I acquired it.) There was no mounting flange, unless what you see is it. It was completely rusted away, there was the remnants of a seal there. I hope you can see the picture, I took it with my crappy cell phone. The toilet cleaned up pretty nice, I hope the ball valve is good.

I think I need the flange from OOD-Mart #600065 and a new seal 83-8975.
The toilet is a Thetford Aqua-Magic Galaxy/Starlite. Is this the correct flange and seal to use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0014.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	123900  
Green68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green68 View Post
I started on the rear bath this weekend. I pulled the toilet out, it was loose and had been leaking. Removed all the old nasty carpet. The wood floor is surprisingly solid, just stained a little. (This is the trailer that had been sitting for over 7 years before I acquired it.) There was no mounting flange, unless what you see is it. It was completely rusted away, there was the remnants of a seal there. I hope you can see the picture, I took it with my crappy cell phone. The toilet cleaned up pretty nice, I hope the ball valve is good.

I think I need the flange from OOD-Mart #600065 and a new seal 83-8975.
The toilet is a Thetford Aqua-Magic Galaxy/Starlite. Is this the correct flange and seal to use?
They look like the correct parts . The flange is threaded into the holding tank , removal is counter clockwise .. Before you screw the new flange down be sure the toilet bolts line up to where you want the toilet to face , perhaps mark where the old ones are on the floor before you remove the old flange .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1989 25' Excella
1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
I found the fittings needed to re-attach the supply line to the toilet at ACE Hardware. Once I get the new flange and seal the toilet can go back in. After I lay the new floor of course. I can only get out to work on it one day a week for a few hours and it's about an hour away so this is a slow process but worth it.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1989 25' Excella
1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Cracks in black tank

We had a beautiful day yesterday so we got back out to work on the project. I was able to unscrew the old flange from the tank, it was the wrong one. After I got it off I noticed some hairline cracks around the flange fitting in the top of the tank. What can I use to seal the cracks without dropping the tank?

The PO did not winterize the trailer so I also found a couple of splits in the copper where it froze. I expected to find some leaks, so I've got my work cut out for me.

I ended up getting the whole flush mechanism for the Thetford toilet as my base was cracked and the ball valve leaked, it was $108 including shipping from "Any RV Parts". I saw prices up to $159 for that part.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green68 View Post
We had a beautiful day yesterday so we got back out to work on the project. I was able to unscrew the old flange from the tank, it was the wrong one. After I got it off I noticed some hairline cracks around the flange fitting in the top of the tank. What can I use to seal the cracks without dropping the tank?

The PO did not winterize the trailer so I also found a couple of splits in the copper where it froze. I expected to find some leaks, so I've got my work cut out for me.

I ended up getting the whole flush mechanism for the Thetford toilet as my base was cracked and the ball valve leaked, it was $108 including shipping from "Any RV Parts". I saw prices up to $159 for that part.

Can you post some pictures of the are that needs repair . Also do you know what type of plastic the tank is made from , the repair methods will differ .
Old 03-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1989 25' Excella
1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
White plastic tank

I didn't get a picture and the trailer is about an hour from here. There wasn't much to see, just some hairline cracks about halfway around the flange fitting. It looks like a white plastic tank. The flange I removed was the wrong one, it did not screw down to the floor so I think it was cracked when the PO sat on the toilet. I don't want to remove the tank unless I have to.
I have all the correct parts now to replace the toilet once we decide on the flooring. I need to correct all the plumbing issues before putting down the new floor.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Hi,
I just installed a toilet, floor and new flange etc. last summer on my restoration of my 1968 Globetrotter. Be careful and go slow on this part. If your putting in a new floor measure the screw length so you do not puncture the tank. Steve at VTS was great. I bought a new porcelain toilet to replace a flimsy plastic thetford. I saved alot by going with VTS and he set me up properly with correct fittings.
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Imade a similar repair on my tank . Being your tank is whiteish my guess is that it is polyethelene and the only good way to fix is by plastic welding , epoxies won't stick . I also put a band clamp on the 3" collar to help reinforce it . When you screw the new flange in do not over tighten , it is a pipe thread which means it is tapered and if tightened too much will spread and crack the collar. Almost any RV dealer will have the proper screw in flange .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avion 002.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	125076