Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2022, 03:16 PM   #1
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Toilet modification in Bambi

My '01 Bambi 19 has a rear bath with angled door, a design that is used in some other AS models. 1st photo shows how the toilet is angled toward the rear, apparently to leave more leg room with the door closed. It has never worked for me, have to leave the door open and put one foot in the shower. So in the course of an interior redecorate, I decided to see if I could turn the toilet forward a bit. 2nd photo shows the flange with toilet removed. Why didn't AS use one with adjustable bolt slots? Inspection showed it is glued rather than threaded. To avoid all the work of chiseling the old flange out and also the risk of damaging the black water tank, I did this:
3rd photo shows the modified screw slots, and the tools used. I had already removed the 6 screws holding the flange to the deck so it was easy to flex the tank top and pry the flange up a bit with a putty scraper. But this could easily be done without removing the mounting screws. Just be sure to vacuum up all the dust before reassembly either way.
Drilled new holes in the desired spot with a sharp forstner bit, then cut the plastic away with a dremel saw and utility knife. Held toilet bolts with vise grips by the unthreaded tip to avoid damaging threads, heated until they melted plastic and inserted in the position shown by blue lines. Quenched with spray bottle to stop melting. 4th photo is finished install, ready for new flange gasket. Will extend the supply pipe as required with sharkbite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9626.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	414547   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9631.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	414548  

Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedDSCF9633_LI.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	414549   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9634.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	414550  

Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
The 19 Bambi is one of the few bathroom layouts that will allow you to upgrade to a Dometic 320 with the elongated bowl and seat, just like home. Double check the dimensions and location of the flange from the wall but in my 2006 it just fit, clearing the back wall by 1/16 of an inch. It was a real step up from the all plastic short bowl that came stock in 2006.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:09 AM   #3
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
I can't do it, johnco. I looked up the "rough-in" dimensions (distance from centerline of flange to rear wall) and the best I can do is the Thetford Style II lo profile. It has ceramic bowl and ball type dump valve, but not quite as long of a bowl as the elongated. Too bad, but that would require replacing the black water tank to cut in the flange at a new location. I have one of the Thetfords here already, and it just does fit with room to connect the pipes, but it arrived broken. I hope to have a replacement before too long, it will be one of the last things installed in the course of a new floor going in.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Sorry the dimensions were different, best of luck with the new flooring project.