Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2022, 08:14 AM   #1

2004 28' International CCD
Valley Ford , CA
Toilet issue with stationary airstream

Hello,

We have a 28 foot airstream international permanently parked on our rural property, to use as a guest house and Airbnb. I’m trying to solve a few issues with our toilet situation.

First, and least importantly- the water function of the toilet doesn’t work. We leave a pitcher of water and lots of instructions and this doesn’t pose much of a problem.

Second, and most time consuming issue- dumping the tank. When we set up the permanent space for the trailer, we installed a dump port in the ground that connects to our septic system. When someone is staying in the airstream, we have to dump the tank every 3-4 days. It’s not the end of the world but it’s another task we need to remember to do, it’s kinda yucky, and sometimes we are not around to do it when needed. Up until now we’ve made it happen and will continue to do.

Third, and most serious issue- our septic capacity gets over loaded with the large dumps. We think, because we’re dumping 3-4 days at a time we’re getting some pooling of water down the leach area. It doesn’t smell but it’s obviously not a good sign.

I know we could dump more often so less is flooding the septic at once, but this task is already a pain to juggle with all our other responsibilities. Trying to make things easier for us.

Is it possible to install a standard (small) house toilet and plumb it to bypass the airstream holding tank and go straight into the septic with each flush?

Any other good ideas to make our system easier to use?

Thanks!
VFhosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
It is possible to install a residential toilet on some Airstreams if you have enough room. RV toilets normally require less distance from mounting point to wall. You would need to REMOVE the black tank to plumb into waste system since the RV toilet is currently mounted to the black tank so it can't be bypassed.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I'd be slightly concerned if dumping the tank causes your leech field to pool up, as that's not really that much liquid. Probably no more than a load or two of laundry in a top-load machine.

How old is the septic system and leech field? When was the tank pumped out last?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Sounds like the septic tank needs to be pumped. My guess, you have a standard anaerobic system. Depending on the age, how it was installed, etc.. you could be over loading the system, but start with a good pumping first and walk over. If that does not fix the problem, lot's of ways to help with that problem, just really depends on how you want/can do it based on local rules/regs and what you're willing to risk in the process. If your county allows "dry-wells" for shower/washing machine water from your house, that's where I'd start.

It's just poop, nothing a little soap/water can't clean off your hands/clothes.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I've seen a standard home toilet in a complete remodel of an Airstream but the trailer had been gutted for the remodel. No holding tanks.

Three days for a blank tank dump seems too often. Is the trailer absolutely level? Are you sure that the tank is completely empty.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
I've seen a standard home toilet in a complete remodel of an Airstream but the trailer had been gutted for the remodel. No holding tanks.

Three days for a blank tank dump seems too often. Is the trailer absolutely level? Are you sure that the tank is completely empty.
For normal use I would agree but, he stated "to use as a guest house and Airbnb." so with a family of 4 strangers and not wanting to go inside to check tank levels, every 3 days would be a safe way to do it.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
When I bought my airstream the previous owner had already installed a normal home toilet directly where the RV toilet was and always left the dump hose hooked to the septic tank with no problems it just passed through the holding tank no modifications.
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The worry is that if you just dump the toilet into the holding tank the tank will fill up with solids. Or at least hold enough to stink.

One way might be to install a macerating toilet and run the outlet hose through the tank to the outlet or down through the floor and to the outlet. Or maybe the macerated stuff would flow through the tank well., I have a stationary trailer. I hate the dumping. but I have not thought of an alternative that looks attractive either.

I am going to sorta check out the macerating toilet thing. My daughter had one in a house and it actually seemed to work.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2004 22' International CCD
Cleveland , Oklahoma
Maybe an in-ground holding tank?

I have a permanently parked Airstream and I use the "blue loo" to transport black tank contents to a septic system elsewhere on the property, about once a week to 10 days. It was once suggested to me to bury a 500 gallon round fiberglass tank with a direct connection to the trailer, and have it pumped out every 9 months to a year as needed. I've always been tempted to do that.
MySovereign is offline   Reply With Quote