Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 11:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Toilet bowl slowly loses water

The toilet bowl in our 2018 FC20 is slowly losing water. If we arenít using the AS for more than a couple weeks, we pour Thetford Toilet Seal and Lube in the bowl. After our last trip in mid November and this weekend there was 2 inches of blue stain on the side of the bowl but the seal was still covered. I put in water, marked the high water point and left it for a week. When I can back, the water was about 1/2 inch below the mark. Although we had very cold weather (for the PNW), we had our tank heater on, ran 2 space heaters and the furnace was set to run as a backup. Should we be concerned? If so, what should we do? Thank you!
ssandks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
How warm does it stay with the space heaters? Is the unit outside or in a building? I suspect you just have some evaporation due to the dry heat.

I leave one space heater in mine set to 60 F and run a small dehumidifier to keep the humidity in check. The bowl level in my macerating toliet will drop a little over time. My unit sets in an ag building, open sides with a roof.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Ours will lose water/etc. over time when not being used. I think it's through evaporation.

We left our trailer in Florida recently, unused, for a month. We did something different this time, closing the lid and wrapping it tight with plastic wrap. That did the trick.

I also suggest cleaning the seal and the area down there where the seal closes/seats.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:44 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
You may need to replace the toilet flush seal.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:50 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Fairfield , California
Try using plumbers grease

Hi

Use plumbers grease on the rubber gasket, I use it before every trip to condition the rubber seal. You can get it from Home Depot.

Have a good day

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CFD7C15E-3C3C-446D-A564-E3FF54526B82.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	410579  
Eric. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:11 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Not real sure why this is a concern. A half inch of water in two weeks in no way would affect the function of the toilet.

When you are heating in cold weather and have a vehicle that leaks air the way an AS does, it will get very dry very fast inside the RV. The dew point will be down past freezing and the temp up in the 60's (or whatever you have it set to). That combo would get you an RH in the vicinity of 20 to 30%.

As mentioned above, pulling the gasket and doing a bit of a clean is also part of the maintenance routine. You scrub the gasket and the various surfaces. Then you re-lube.

The real bottom line is: don't worry about this.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Toilet Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssandks View Post
The toilet bowl in our 2018 FC20 is slowly losing water. If we arenít using the AS for more than a couple weeks, we pour Thetford Toilet Seal and Lube in the bowl. After our last trip in mid November and this weekend there was 2 inches of blue stain on the side of the bowl but the seal was still covered. I put in water, marked the high water point and left it for a week. When I can back, the water was about 1/2 inch below the mark. Although we had very cold weather (for the PNW), we had our tank heater on, ran 2 space heaters and the furnace was set to run as a backup. Should we be concerned? If so, what should we do? Thank you!
Replace, clean and lube. Works for me.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #8
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We have a 20 year old AS with the same toilet seal and during the winter we cover it with Dawn Dish Soap and have done so for several years. Do not put anti freeze in the bowl as it will evaporate and dry out the rubber. During the summer add a bit of olive oil to the cover the seal between trips. Continued maintenance means longevity .. has work for us!
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #9
Bob

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
Clean it

Mine just needed a good cleaning. It was leaking, I scrubbed a few rounds with the toilet brush (with the valve fully open, making sure to get all of the Ö from the seal. Good as new.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
Hi

Use plumbers grease on the rubber gasket, I use it before every trip to condition the rubber seal. You can get it from Home Depot.

Have a good day

Eric
Wrong version of plumbers grease. It should not be used on rubber or silicone seals. That is what the label says, too. It is for seating faucets (metal).

Use a silicone-based plumbers grease. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Si...2270043&sr=8-5

I use it on the AS toilet and o-rings.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Although off topic, the silicone-based plumbers' grease is an excellent product to use on the rubber window gaskets. It keeps the window from sticking to the gasket.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #12
Site Team

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
Hi

Have a good day

Eric
I think that's the same Oatey product I use. First year we had our AS (2014) I winterized the bowl with pink AF. The next time out the seal had warped and leaked. I just kept water in there for the summer and finally it sealed again. That winter I used the Oatey on the gasket and have never had a problem since then. I used Oatey silicone, safe for all seals.
Attached Images

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
I think that's the same Oatey product I use...I used Oatey silicone, safe for all seals.
Not the same product.

The one posted by Eric is Oatey Faucet and Valve Grease and should not be used on rubber or synthetic O-Rings. It is petroleum-based and will dry out rubber and synthetics.

The one Rich posted is the right product: Oatey Silicone Grease. It is not petroleum-based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post
Although off topic, the silicone-based plumbers' grease is an excellent product to use on the rubber window gaskets. It keeps the window from sticking to the gasket.
Great idea. Probably holds up better than the watery stuff I have been using.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:54 PM   #14
Site Team

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Not the same product.

The one posted by Eric is Oatey Faucet and Valve Grease and should not be used on rubber or synthetic O-Rings. It is petroleum-based and will dry out rubber and synthetics.
I was thinking it was the same but if it's petroleum based, then no. It cannot be used on rubber. The back side of the one I posted says that it's safe for rubber and synthetic gaskets. Someone posted in a thread years ago and that's how I learned about it and not using RV AF. I've not had any problems since about 2015 and I use it as part of my winterizing process.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote