Old 07-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Toilet 'ball' gasket permanently misaligned

We have a 2019 FC, everything was fine at first.

This summer I noticed an odor, turned out that the toilet bowl had dried out. Tried to clean it and run some water in it - water leaked out quickly.

So I found some threads showing how to remove the black rubber gasket around the toilet dump ball, managed to get it out and lubed it with plumber's grease. It seems to hold water now, so that's all good.

But prior to taking out the gasket I saw it was offset slightly, not centered. Off by maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch to one side. When I put it back together it was the same way. Even the little plastic flange that fits in the groove of the black gasket was offset!

Is this a problem? I still have a couple months left on my warranty, I could get it fixed. OTOH, if the dealer is going to tear off the whole toilet maybe it could become worse?

Pic

Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , Texas
It appears you don't have the seal set all the way. ( Top of photo) Check the groove and see if it's clean. It can be made to be centered just takes a little ajusting.

2007 25' FB International CCD Solar
2019 Toyota Tundra
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd tighe View Post
It appears you don't have the seal set all the way. ( Top of photo) Check the groove and see if it's clean. It can be made to be centered just takes a little ajusting.

It is set for sure. Was like that from the factory, is still like that after I lubed and reinstalled.

It's the not gasket itself that is misaligned, it's the plastic ring the gasket fits onto.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Anyone seen this? Would 'fixing' this be honored while under warranty?
Old 07-23-2020, 06:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Anyone seen this? Would 'fixing' this be honored while under warranty?
If you are going to Jackson Center for warranty work, just mention it. They will replace the whole toilet!

That said, I've learned that a good toilet brush allows you to clean both sides (top and bottom) of the toilet ring. I use Vaseline to provide extra sealant to the ring. I've had my bowl go dry and this prceedure seems to work every time.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:22 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
It is set for sure. Was like that from the factory, is still like that after I lubed and reinstalled.

It's the not gasket itself that is misaligned, it's the plastic ring the gasket fits onto.
Does it still leak?

Bob
🇺🇸

"Worry...a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We use water and some of this in the bowl between trips to keep the seal lubricated. If the trailer sits too long the water can evaporate, so you need to keep an eye on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Toil...7ECBZ246SMRBCE
Old 07-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
We upgraded the Dometic 310 toilet with a 320 in our FC28 to get the more elongated bowl. Since then we've had ongoing problems with the seal in question not sealing. Once the ball had come off the pivot on the left side, resulting in the ball not being centered and the expected leakage. But other times the ball is centered and things still leaked. I could remove the sealing ring, clean it, lube it with silicone grease, reinstall it, and all would be fine for a few weeks..

I found that the real problem seemed to be the sealing between the outer perimeter of the seal and the porcelain channel that it's supposed to fit into was poor. I tried replacing the sealing ring with an aftermarket one (got two for $12 instead of one for $25 for the Dometic part). Those were terrible, and they'd start leaking soon after installation as well as being hard to install.

Finally got the genuine part https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and so far it's worked for many months.

If nothing else, I've gotten real good at removing and replacing this component, just don't ask me to do it on YOUR toilet!
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Interesting idea! We also have an FC28. I might just put in the 320 model to 'fix' this issue.

- Did it fit without issues?
- How was the install, ok to DIY?
- Would you recommend the 320? (other than the ball latching issue)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
We upgraded the Dometic 310 toilet with a 320 in our FC28 to get the more elongated bowl. Since then we've had ongoing problems with the seal in question not sealing. Once the ball had come off the pivot on the left side, resulting in the ball not being centered and the expected leakage. But other times the ball is centered and things still leaked. I could remove the sealing ring, clean it, lube it with silicone grease, reinstall it, and all would be fine for a few weeks..

I found that the real problem seemed to be the sealing between the outer perimeter of the seal and the porcelain channel that it's supposed to fit into was poor. I tried replacing the sealing ring with an aftermarket one (got two for $12 instead of one for $25 for the Dometic part). Those were terrible, and they'd start leaking soon after installation as well as being hard to install.

Finally got the genuine part https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and so far it's worked for many months.

If nothing else, I've gotten real good at removing and replacing this component, just don't ask me to do it on YOUR toilet!
Old 07-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you turn off the water to the trailer and the water pump you can press the flush pedal to slide the flapper out of the way. Then reach in with a GLOVED finger to make sure the seal is properly attached. On most toilets there is a lip around the hole on the bottom. The seal has a grove in it that attaches to the grove.

Did I mention to wear gloves?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post

How is this proceedure done? I thought you had to remove the toilet from the floor.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:13 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Did you grease up the seal, ball and flange well before twisting the bowl to lock it?
It may be that the twisting has moved the seal enough to force it off center.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Worry...a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Did you grease up the seal, ball and flange well before twisting the bowl to lock it?
It may be that the twisting has moved the seal enough to force it off center.

Bob
🇺🇸
Twisting the bowl? I never touched the bowl itself. Just followed youtube instructions on how to pull out the rubber seal & lube it.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Checked the toilet today, it's now holding water after my lube job.

But the gasket is still misaligned due to the shifted plastic ring on the toilet frame.

Considering the 320 toilet upgrade, as long as it will fit in the FC28. It's a rather small bathroom to begin with...
Old 07-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #15
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Checked the toilet today, it's now holding water after my lube job.

But the gasket is still misaligned due to the shifted plastic ring on the toilet frame.

Considering the 320 toilet upgrade, as long as it will fit in the FC28. It's a rather small bathroom to begin with...

I installed a 320 and the ball/seal 'look' misaligned but seems to work fine.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #16
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Twisting the bowl? I never touched the bowl itself. Just followed youtube instructions on how to pull out the rubber seal & lube it.
Correct, there is a rubber seal on the bottom of the toilet that pushed in to the top of the black tank neck, that's the one he was referring to. That one has nothing to do with water leaking from bowl into tank.
What did you use to lube your ball seal?
Old 07-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I installed a 320 and the ball/seal 'look' misaligned but seems to work fine.

Hmmm. Mine still works, so not planning on taking it in for warranty repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Correct, there is a rubber seal on the bottom of the toilet that pushed in to the top of the black tank neck, that's the one he was referring to. That one has nothing to do with water leaking from bowl into tank.
What did you use to lube your ball seal?

I used silicone grease, plumber's type