Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Tips for prepping toilet for travel?

So what do you do?

At home, preparing for a trip, clean and inspect everything, pack, get the fridge cooled down, check the tires, fill the fresh water tank, ensure the other tanks are empty (a little bit of water in the black tank to help avoid any pyramids). In the shower, you stick a stopper in the floor drain to keep any gray water from coming up into the floor of the shower.

But then there’s the toilet. You flush, the bowl is clean... you can quickly flush, but, there will still be a little bit of water in the bottom.

At home, you can grab a shop-vac, ensure the bowl is dry before departing. You arrive at your camp site, stay however long, but then the time comes to pack up and head home. Maybe you are at a site where you dump tanks, maybe you were boondocking, will dump the tanks later. But.... Aside from packing up everything, putting the shower plug back in, you need to secure the toilet for travel. But when you flush, even a quick flush, you end up with water back in the bowl. And, you’d prefer to not have any water in the toilet to slosh out. You don’t have the shop-vac with you while camping, that’d be too big to bring along.

So, what do you do, to ensure an empty toilet bowl that won’t slosh once you leave camp and hit the road, heading home?
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
My experience has been that doing a normal flush leaves a bit of water in the bowl to keep the seal from drying out but does not have enough to slush out of the bowl. Flush once, don't do the skid mark water deal and you should be fine.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tips for prepping toilet for travel?

Simple. Standard gravity flush toilet, you shut off and disconnect the shore water supply hose outside or the water pump.

Then step on the toilet flush pedal, hold it down until the bowl is empty and water stops flowing in. Release the pedal. Done...it’ll be mostly dry dry and pretty much empty.

We have a wet bath in our 2007 22’ International CCD. A minor clean water spill is no issue. We always travel with the water pump turned off. Haven’t had an issue with ‘toilet slop over’ at any time...it’s a non-issue when following the departure check list.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The only time we 'empty' the bowl is for Winter storage.
Lube the seal and it stays empty 'til Spring.

It has never wet the floor while underway with a 1/2cup water in it.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-19-2021, 09:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Same as Bob, never had water slosh out. Drain in winter, Oatey silicone on the seal for winter.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Noted! Thanks, all....
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Same as Bob & Richw46
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We also do nothing special for Lucy's toilet prior to getting underway. We check to make sure that the toilet water level is not too high, hook-up and pull out.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Columbia , MO
We leave water in ours as we ride, 33ft classic, never a mess, told to keep it wet to protect seal. We do close the lid��
Kthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
One of my last steps when preparing to tow is to turn off the water pump, then flush the toilet until it stops flowing. A little water will still be present but that keeps seal wet and isn't enough to splash out. Lower toilet lid and you're good to go.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #11
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthies View Post
We do close the lid��
Yes, always close the lid.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dogtoilet.png
Views:	33
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	391174  
Old 03-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
Never leave toilet with no water in bowl. Travel with an inch or so. If it sloshes out quit turning corners on two wheels! When you winterize leave a cup of anti-freeze in bowl to keep seal lubricated. Hint: another reason to always leave a bit of liquid in the bowl is that if it drains out you know you have a bad seal and will soon be smelling the black tank!
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdream99 View Post
Never leave toilet with no water in bowl. Travel with an inch or so. If it sloshes out quit turning corners on two wheels! When you winterize leave a cup of anti-freeze in bowl to keep seal lubricated. Hint: another reason to always leave a bit of liquid in the bowl is that if it drains out you know you have a bad seal and will soon be smelling the black tank!
It wasn't so much corners, as it was coming in and out of my driveway.... I added a 3" lift so that I could make it in and out of the driveway w/o scraping.

Whole thing that made me ask, was: I had brought it home winterized from the dealer, had just unwinterized it, then left the house to go replace the tires (had the original Marathons on it still, I put Endurances on it). Got home, backed back into its spot, and, then found a little water on the floor of the bathroom in front of the toilet. Nothing was at high speed, but, yeah, coming out of and back into the driveway was, not level, for a moment.

So, I thought I'd see what others did, etc.

I've appreciated everyone's input, tho'!
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Hmmmm. My 2014 Flyong Cloud has a quarter turn water shutoff in the line to the toilet that is easily accessible right next to it.

When we are practicing black tank conservation, I typically shut off the water supply and use a cup of water from the sink for flushing. Since we typically use public facilities for #2, the yellow stuff and the cup of water keeps the black tank well hydrated.

Before camping, we rented a rustic cabin where the landlord had a sign in the toilet: “If it’s yellow, let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down.”

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:24 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
I leave the water in the toilet, as the water keeps the seal lubricated and the smells out. I also leave the water pump on and don't know why people turn it off.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Leaving the water pump off during travel is a good way to prevent a devastating, undetected leak while in motion. Simple precautions like that are a good idea.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
LNBright - you said your concern started when you saw a little water on the floor in front of the toilet. Had it rained before you found the water? The reason I ask, is that I started finding a few drops of water in front of the toilet once in a while, especially after a hard rain. The problem turned out to be the exterior seal of the bathroom vent fan.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Pat, as a matter of fact, that storm line blew through the night before. That's something I'll investigate. I didn't notice the water until I'd gotten home from and parked from having new tires put on, which with coming out of the driveway, installation, returning to the driveway, I was just expecting that, the closest source of water was immediately next to the drops. I can definitely check the vent, see what goes on this week. Good suggestion to watch!
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #19

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Pensacola , Florida
good to turn water pump off when traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2trailer View Post
I leave the water in the toilet, as the water keeps the seal lubricated and the smells out. I also leave the water pump on and don't know why people turn it off.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I can tell you why from experience. Once before I started to turn the water pump off during travel, the kitchen sink was turned on . . . No item around to hit the handle. Must have been turned on by a bump in the road. And since I used the drain cover to prevent gray water from coming up, the sink overflowed on the floor and out the door. And at least once since, turned water pump on at destination and the water started immediately running. Saved that time with the pump being off!
Safe travels!
Tricia
plwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2trailer View Post

Mike
We turn off the water if there will be some major elevation change.
Like more than 3K feet.
Sometimes after a big go up or go down our water pump gets confused.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote