Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
San Francisco , California
Successful bidet installation?

Okay, it's slightly embarrassing that this is my first post on these lovely forums, but I'm about to seal the deal on the purchase of a '77 center-bath Sovereign International. I plan to renovate it extensively, and having spent lots of time in Asia, I've been wooed away from dry paper entirely. I'm planning to full-time in my Airstream, and it's bidet or bust.

(Hi, everybody.)

Has anyone installed a bidet in their AS? The bowl-cleaning hand spray option offered on some of the Sealand toilets seems a little... cold.

Since I plan to only move the AS once every six months or so-- would it be impossible to install a residential dual-flush toilet, such as a Toto? Or is it necessary that I get an RV toilet and attempt to outfit it with a separate washlet seat? (Or -- a grosser option -- go for a wet bath with a strategically-positioned shower wand.)

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've been learning a ton from these forums over the past couple weeks, but am still largely ignorant of the nuts and bolts of AS ownership.

I am not ignorant, however, of the bidet's clear superiority to all other methods.
whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I'm sure it's doable, Dometic has a combo product that might start your search off, products - Dometic
Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Yeah, I was eyeing the MasterFlush, but I'm not sure I want to deal with a macerator toilet (seems like one extra system that may possibly break in a very nasty way). I poked around on Dometic's European sites, too, but didn't see any gravity + bidet options for RVs.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney
Okay, it's slightly embarrassing that this is my first post on these lovely forums, but I'm about to seal the deal on the purchase of a '77 center-bath Sovereign International. I plan to renovate it extensively, and having spent lots of time in Asia, I've been wooed away from dry paper entirely. I'm planning to full-time in my Airstream, and it's bidet or bust.

(Hi, everybody.)

Has anyone installed a bidet in their AS? The bowl-cleaning hand spray option offered on some of the Sealand toilets seems a little... cold.

Since I plan to only move the AS once every six months or so-- would it be impossible to install a residential dual-flush toilet, such as a Toto? Or is it necessary that I get an RV toilet and attempt to outfit it with a separate washlet seat? (Or -- a grosser option -- go for a wet bath with a strategically-positioned shower wand.)

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've been learning a ton from these forums over the past couple weeks, but am still largely ignorant of the nuts and bolts of AS ownership.

I am not ignorant, however, of the bidet's clear superiority to all other methods.
I have a Toto Washlet toilet seat installed in my 2010 25' international. To install it, the dealer changed the toilet to an RV toilet with a larger bowl to fit the seat. He installed an electrical outlet in the wall between the bedroom and the bath, and installed a fitting connecting the bidet to the waterline into the toilet. I can't remember whether the inverter had to be upgraded, as all of this was done before I took delivery, but I think the Washlet runs on less than 400W even with the seat and water heater on. The trailer is in winter storage about 4 hours from me, or I would send pictures. Like you, if I couldn't have my Washlet, I would not have bought the trailer. The swap and installation was expensive (more than the cost of the Washlet) and I'm sure someone handy could do the installation himself, but this was one area where I did not want a problem, and I have had none.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post

(Hi, everybody.)

I would suggest that you consider the additional water usage, as well as the additional black water storage.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm guessing water usage won't be a problem if you're staying put for months at a time. Not like you're boondocking or something.

I wonder if European RVs have bidets?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Cheap bidet...
Attached Images

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Cheaper Bidet

... and easily installed.
Attached Images

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If it's only moved twice a year and is set up in a park, maybe I'd make it into a park model and remove the tanks.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

I would suggest that you consider the additional water usage, as well as the additional black water storage.

Andy
The bidet uses a little more, but not enough to worry about. My gray water tanks still fill up way before my black water tanks. I think the absence ( or reduction) of toilet paper more than makes up for the increased water usage in terms of tank capacity. So it's the additional use of fresh water you have to worry about, and that is less than a quart of water per flush. Not significant.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
it's bidet or bust.

I'd agree with the folks who said that HOW you're full timing will have a lot to do with what your best option might be. So, are you definitely staying in one place with full hookups for six months at a time? Are you going to be in somewhere with freezing temps during the winter? Are you prepared for the extra amount of water usage from the bidet, and therefore filling your black tank more often? (A lot of people tell me that it's best not to leave your black tank draining to the sewer connection all the time, to let it fill up and then drain it when it's at least partially full every week or so.)

I like bidets, but full timing in a 19' Bambi with smallish tanks and planning on dry camping/boondocking about 50% of the time, I suspect it's not really a viable or even practical option. Definitely bringing the baby wipes!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Thanks for the input, all! FlashSilver's Washlet is definitely my ideal setup. Time to take some measurements...
Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney
Thanks for the input, all! FlashSilver's Washlet is definitely my ideal setup. Time to take some measurements...
I won't leave home without it. Measurements are definitely in order. The Washlet needs some space between the toilet and the wall. I think that was the reason the dealer had to change the toilet from the factory installed one. When I bought the unit 3 years ago I brought the Washlet to my dealer and told him if he could install it I would buy the trailer. He said "no problem" although he didn't know what a bidet was, or what it was for. He says he can install anything, within reason, in an AS. It's just a matter of money. Good luck with yours.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Hello! I realize this is an old post. But I was wondering how your bidet worked out. We will be purchasing a classic within about a year, with intentions of fulltiming, and health issues require us to have a bidet. So we are gathering info now in preparation. Thank you!
AirDreamerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDreamerz View Post
Hello! I realize this is an old post. But I was wondering how your bidet worked out. We will be purchasing a classic within about a year, with intentions of fulltiming, and health issues require us to have a bidet. So we are gathering info now in preparation. Thank you!
Very curious myself. We have the washlet at home and would love to put it in the Airstream. Since the black tank seldom comes close to filling up, it would actually be nice to run additional water - something I have to do before dumping the tank anyways.

I think the problem is the amount of space required behind the toilet and I don't believe the wall can accommodate that extra space.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Battlefield , Missouri
Also interested in process for install of Toto washlet bidet toilet seat in Airstream. Surely more are having experience with increasing popularity of bidets in the US.
dreamsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Simpsonville , South Carolina
So far we have not found much on this. Let us know if you discover anything. We have not contacted airstream directly yet, and worry that any modifications may possibly void the warranty should plumbing issues arise. Our current Toto washlet really does not take up any room behind the toilet. So I would think as long as it fits he size of the bowl, there should not be any issues, apart from installing an additional electrical outlet next to the toilet.
AirDreamerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:26 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
I have some experience with the Toto Washlets for the home. Although we are commercial plumbers, we have done many custom homes. Personally, we have 3 Washlets, 1 is 20+ years old. They come in the standard round and elongated seats. The round seats make the target area small, if you know what I mean.

The new one, S350e; pre wets the bowl (e-water), seat warmer, adjustable warm water for washing, dryer, remote control for adjustments, sensor open and even lights up the bowl. Heats the water as you use it vs. older has a small tank that is kept warm.

If you are thinking inverter working off the batteries, I think there would be a constant drain as the seat is heated and the water is warmed. I thinks its around 400w-900w depending on the model, guessing on those numbers.

They have a hand held model, HW300#W. 1 AA battery good for 50 washes. It has a .048 gallon tank and .0024 gallons/sec. on soft and .0021gal/sec normal. A 20 sec wash? Bring your water bottle, LOL. No personal experience with it.
909kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wow, we're talking campers, right?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Wow, we're talking campers, right?

Well - there are some tent campers who think an aluminum tube with a bed, TV, lights, heat, AC, etc. is far from a real camping experience. 😀

Doesn't seem to be a lot of bidet installations in trailers so far. An alternative would be these - but never flush them - bag them and trash them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Charmin-F...count/14284567
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote