Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Stuck Moen shower cartridge

Hi!
I have a 2012 International Serenity with a Moen shower cartridge. For the last 6 weeks or so the temperature has been funky, with either really cold or really hot. This morning the handle "shifted" and was only cold and wouldn't turn off completely. My neighbor/handyman has been kind enough to dissemble the handle to get to the cartridge. He thinks if we replace the cartridge then we can solve our water temperature problems. Problem is, we can't get the cartridge out! It seems the cartridge is bound into the housing and will only come partway out. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the cartridge out?
We also noticed when we took the back panel off that it is plumbed in a really strange way (see video). We were thinking since we couldn't get the cartridge out that we could remove the whole housing from the back and replace that, but it is plumbed such that you cannot remove it. The pex lines have no swivel ends on them for removal, so the only way to get the housing out would be to cut and then repair the pex lines.
flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

With PEX plumbing, indeed the way it's done is to cut the swaged ends off and re-swage fresh pipe. The key is to make sure there is enough "extra" pipe to allow this to happen. If not, you are looking at running a new piece of pipe. Needless to say, that's not a fun job.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

With PEX plumbing, indeed the way it's done is to cut the swaged ends off and re-swage fresh pipe. The key is to make sure there is enough "extra" pipe to allow this to happen. If not, you are looking at running a new piece of pipe. Needless to say, that's not a fun job.

Bob
Thanks Uncle Bob. Turns out, with brute force, we were finally able to get the cartridge out. So, all I had to do was go to Home Depot and do the install and we're good. Glad I didn't have to get into a plumbing mess!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Glad you got it fixed. When I replaced some Moen cartridges in the house a removal tool was included in the box. Even with that they were hard to get out.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Force is necessary. Add some plumbers silicon grease when you install the new one. A thin coat on the seals and outside of the cartridge helps a lot.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfishy View Post
Hi!
I have a 2012 International Serenity with a Moen shower cartridge. For the last 6 weeks or so the temperature has been funky, with either really cold or really hot. This morning the handle "shifted" and was only cold and wouldn't turn off completely. My neighbor/handyman has been kind enough to dissemble the handle to get to the cartridge. He thinks if we replace the cartridge then we can solve our water temperature problems. Problem is, we can't get the cartridge out! It seems the cartridge is bound into the housing and will only come partway out. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the cartridge out?
We also noticed when we took the back panel off that it is plumbed in a really strange way (see video). We were thinking since we couldn't get the cartridge out that we could remove the whole housing from the back and replace that, but it is plumbed such that you cannot remove it. The pex lines have no swivel ends on them for removal, so the only way to get the housing out would be to cut and then repair the pex lines.
A couple of thoughts about Moen faucets.....they are about the best on the market, but when you replace the cartridge, be sure to use genuine Moen cartridges.....there are aftermarket replacements, but they eith don't fit properly, or they fail quickly.
Also, at Lowes, there is a professional tool to remove these cartridges for about $20.00 or thereabouts. Buy replacement cartridges for each Moen faucet or valve, buy the tool, and carry it all in your tool kit......it's best to solve problems before they happen...

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Torrance , California
Moen Cartridge tool

As others have stated, Moen is pretty darn good, they tend to last a long time but the after market knock-offs do wear out more quickly. Having said that....Moen BRASS cartridges are better than the Moen PLASTIC cartridges but they are much better than the knock-offs.

As far as the tool goes, I have had most of them in my years as a contractor and the more you pay for the professional model the better off you are. I had a couple of the less expense types and wound up selling them at yard sales.

I agree that greasing the cartridge prior to installation is a good idea.

Hope this helps with future searches for Moen replacement issues..
Rob
1970 Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks for the additional input, everyone. I didn't know that there were knock-off Moen cartridges out there, but luckily the one I installed was genuine Moen. Good to know. I don't think Home Depot carries the tool you were talking about; at least I didn't see it in the same bin.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

2012 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
Quick question - what was the correct cartridge number for your shower? I have the same model A/S and my shower is starting to drip when off.
RnK903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnK903 View Post
Quick question - what was the correct cartridge number for your shower? I have the same model A/S and my shower is starting to drip when off.
I'm sorry, I didn't keep the packaging. If you go ahead and pull the cartridge, though, you can take it to Home Depot and they will provide a match.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ditto. I need one too.

2012 International. Eddie B

Recently been neighbors 2007 Classic 30

Looks same.... they really wouldn't use different stuff on....never mind. 2012 classics had that oiled bronze ...

Sure non classics might have used same 2006 on. Had a 2006 25.fb don't remember any differences thru 2012.....
Amazon itches to hear from me.

[emoji2] [emoji846] [emoji74] [emoji76] [emoji7]
Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Would go to home depot.. 15 miles. And masks aren't enforced.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Doh

Went to Amazon. Searched

MOEN OEM BRASS SHOWER CARTRIDGE

One brass and comp plastic showed up.

Peek? See? Thumbs-up???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Would go to home depot.. 15 miles. And masks aren't enforced.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Corona , California

The all brass and stainless steel ones last longer. Just sayin’.

I won’t use anything other than Moen hardware. (In Multiple houses, including one designed from scratch by the Dragon Lady when we built one in Alabama...won’t refurbish or build with anything else!)

There’s a lot of cheap crap out there in the plumbing department, IMHO.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
List of parts to complete?

OEM Cartridge- only brass one on Amazon?

Plumbers grease. Already have

Driver set with about 200 star, square and hex heads....one of which will surely take off the handle. Already have

Pliers to pull old cartridge. Already have

Puller tool $26. ??? Vs
mickey mouse one (still supplied with cartridge

72 year old, had this shower since 2013, first failure. Got enough bells.and whistles now! Never getting anything more.complex unless I also hire personal RV tech who will travel in 2 person caravan with me.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
moen gives everyone a lifetime of FREE cartridge for anyone who needs them
beware that big box stores may charge you.

ignore that and ask for the manager or just get moen to send you a new cartridge

be sure to tell them which cartridge model you need as they make a few different types

this has been true over the last 30 years for me
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Yup, pull the cartridge FIRST, then compare it to the new one before you buy if possible.

Like the idea of a personal Airstream tech to follow you around. Were I not happily married to the Dragon Lady for almost 50 years I’d apply for the job. Unfortunately I’m fully employed following her around with a ton of parts and tools...she tends to design stuff like 6,000 square foot homes, like the one in Alabama, and I get to get them built occasionally.

She’s the BSN RN, mother of four (five counting me), the design department, and the one that signs off on paint colors (literally). I just do the engineering part.

Blueprints in AutoCad, anyone? Took over three months to do up the ones for the Alabama house.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
People please. FOCUS. general stuff is fine, but

Eye know 2 died of Covid-19, 3 still in hospital
On a +55 campground with only 400 in residence
No death wish for me or my friends!

It is not prudent to use public showers

I have my white hose TURNED OFF. Am Fine
- have 3 cases of bottled water.
-White hose with shutoff valve is on bumper
-main door is in back not 5 feet from bumper
-easy to refill 2 gal already stored by toilet
-2 buckets for tooth brushing
-ditto for kitchen sink + a teapot for [emoji91] water
-surely you can use above hints to guess how I can have a pleasantly hot shower

(Actually i could roll out 100 ft of metal yard hose before noon + existing white. AND SHOWER IN THE DRIVEWAY at dusk. Only the.men on each side could peek.... they know what noise of water on the driveway means. RUN FOREST, RUN!!!

HOME DEPOT STILL HAS 60% unmasked. And TRUMP is has this and NYC as only Secret Service approved places he can go. Scotland turned him down... COVID-19 lock down [emoji854] !!!!

12-16 miles to HD. Could get Covid closer.

Amazon Prime can get everything here by Friday. I can get freebie from Moen after they get the original back. DUH. Paying still does not preclude me from getting a free spare..... and next door neighbor wants to start working on his cool shower..... after the rewiring.of his cabana is finished... 8 days?

Please free vs pay is better for ME to choose

Too bad I didn't just go ahead and order before sundown tonight.

So I am not going there
Old 01-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
WARM INSIDE SHOWER
WITHOUT WATER HEATER

All spare hoses chained together. Ending in a sprayer nozzle. Hose laid in the direct sun nozzle placed near the door have a ready to cinch belt.

Few Neighbors and a sleep shirt? Shower outside with some screening.

More exposed? Pull enough hose in to go into the shower. Cinch the door 3/4 closed with the belt. Use inside grip handle and (a) door release handle or (b) user added slam handle or (c) screen handle
Old 01-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Well no joy here.
Factory call - voice mail no response
Pulling cartridge tonight, and no tequila in house

Will post model numbers from cartridge if legible

Younger neighbor is rewiring his cabana, and will go to Home Depot to get the right one..

Sorry for prior impatient post. Frustration then has given way to stoicism.

Warm bucket bath in shower has helped my mood, and boy if I had an angle grinder would I have a pedicure!