Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2022, 10:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Sink Sticking Out in the Narrow Aisle

For all those that have Airstream models with the sink sticking out in the narrow aisle, how do you like that?

I’m looking to purchase a 27’ to 30’ Airstream soon (years 2017 to 2022) and am baffled as to why Airstream would design them with the kitchen sink taking up precious space in the aisle.
TravelCEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
My guess is to preserve the even more valuable space on the countertop. We have a trailer with the sink up against the wall, and when I go into a newer one with the sink like you describe I'm impressed with the extra counter space and storage under the sink.

Guess it all depends on which is more important to you.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Gives a little more counter space and more storage under the sink. Works fine for two persons in the unit. Different persons have different needs - choose what works best for you.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
My guess is to preserve the even more valuable space on the countertop. We have a trailer with the sink up against the wall, and when I go into a newer one with the sink like you describe I'm impressed with the extra counter space and storage under the sink.

That makes sense. I would like more counter space
Old 07-02-2022, 07:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
Gives a little more counter space and more storage under the sink. Works fine for two persons in the unit.
I would like more counter space and storage. Just concerned that the sink sticks out in main entertaining space w/ tv, couch, table and entrance for the door.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
One will note that there are 3 cabinets that make up the kitchen. 1 section for stove, one for silverware and one for sink. The round part containing the sink is an add on. With the counter removed, this will be understood. We removed the part and now have a straight counter. A new front for this area was built We have installed a 2 burner flush mount stove and a rectangular sink. This layout resembles the EB with back flip up door. We also installed a swivel recliner
This is ALL for now; next will be covers for cushions.
Previously we had converted from queen to twin beds.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
We removed the part and now have a straight counter. A new front for this area was built We have installed a 2 burner flush mount stove and a rectangular sink. This layout resembles the EB with back flip up door. We also installed a swivel recliner
This is ALL for now; next will be covers for cushions.
Previously we had converted from queen to twin beds.

Those sound like some great mods!
Old 07-03-2022, 09:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Another benefit is when the drop down counter is up you can still get out the door with ease. Happy Streaming.
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a *lot* of fiddly details in each floor plan. None of them are "perfect", they can't be. Compromise is part of jamming everything into a tiny RV. That's just the way it works.

Specific pinch points matter to some and not to others. It very much depends on you and your crew. Figuring out if this or that will work is why you very much need to go spend some quality time in a range of floor plans before committing to buying one specific model.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you want a sense of how limited the counter space and storage is without the sink bump out, then compare the 28 to the 27 or 25 in the flying cloud in those years.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There are a *lot* of fiddly details in each floor plan. None of them are "perfect", they can't be. Compromise is part of jamming everything into a tiny RV. That's just the way it works.

Specific pinch points matter to some and not to others. It very much depends on you and your crew. Figuring out if this or that will work is why you very much need to go spend some quality time in a range of floor plans before committing to buying one specific model.

Bob

Great advice! Thank you
Old 07-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
If you want a sense of how limited the counter space and storage is without the sink bump out, then compare the 28 to the 27 or 25 in the flying cloud in those years.
Okay, thanks. I’ll do that.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post
Another benefit is when the drop down counter is up you can still get out the door with ease. Happy Streaming.
Good point!
Old 07-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
My wife and I weren’t thrilled with the big, round sink when we bought our unit, but liked many other features of our FC25 RBQ.

Over time we’ve come to appreciate and enjoy the sink. It’s great for doing dishes — one person to wash and the other to dry while both have room to stand at the sink.

It does not cause problems for foot traffic in our experience and if we had it to do over we’d look for a unit with the big, round sink.

Mike and Marla Biagi
mpbiagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:38 PM   #15
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
I replaced my counter with a squared off one. The under counter space was wasted for me . I also removed the stove and cooktop and replaced with a Breville Smart Oven Air and an Induction/propane cooktop. I had cutting boards made for sink and cooktop and love the counter space. Use it for a while and find out what will work for you. I think we all are pretty individual in what the perfect set up is. Happy travels.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Sink Sticking Out in the Narrow Aisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschupp View Post
I replaced my counter with a squared off one. The under counter space was wasted for me . I also removed the stove and cooktop and replaced with a Breville Smart Oven Air and an Induction/propane cooktop. I had cutting boards made for sink and cooktop and love the counter space. Use it for a while and find out what will work for you. I think we all are pretty individual in what the perfect set up is. Happy travels.
Wow, that sounds amazing! Nice setup.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:18 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbiagi View Post
It does not cause problems for foot traffic in our experience and if we had it to do over we’d look for a unit with the big, round sink.

Happy to hear it doesn’t cause problems with foot traffic.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Trying to be polite.... sink protrusion, shower stall size, bed girth preference are all largely determined by, well body size. I personally have no problem with the larger sink and shower stall size, but am aware that others have issues the the space allotment. So to those of you wishing for a plethora of space, realize there are some of us just fine with the space. Yes the shower stall gives me a cool bottom wake up if I bend over too much. But please don't bust the company for trying to go midstream. They don't satisfy the minimial, and don't satisfy the plus sizes. Those of us in the middle deal with our own issues....the round bowl toilet that has my knee into the sink storage....yes I get your pain. And choose to deal with it and enjoy the time out.
Off my soap box.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Trying to be polite.... sink protrusion, shower stall size, bed girth preference are all largely determined by, well body size.

Ha! So true
Old 07-05-2022, 11:31 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fresno , California
I personally think the round sink is stylish and very convenient. I am a passionate cook and I love the counter space and storage under the sink. We have a 2012 25' RBQ Flying Cloud and it is perfect for us and our two giant Labradoodles. I never even considered the sink to be "protruding" into the living space.
kathfred is offline   Reply With Quote