Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
shower wall seams - need solution

I installed plastic panels in my shower, but the gaps where the walls/partitions meet the curve of the Airstream's inner wall seem too large for caulking. I bought this flexible bath tube plastic trim from HD, but it buckles on the curves. What else would work?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I installed plastic panels in my shower, but the gaps where the walls/partitions meet the curve of the Airstream's inner wall seem too large for caulking. I bought this flexible bath tube plastic trim from HD, but it buckles on the curves. What else would work?
Hi adwriter; Can you post a pic of the location and the gap measurement and thickness of plastic?
Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi adwriter73;
Yes, you have a dilemma. The simplest solution pending the thickness of your wall is to get a aluminum wall mounting trim such as one used in Argosy. That is a formed double TT trim with approx. 1/4" capacity. Call Ryan at 319-235-1115 at RV Reviwe.
I know that he has Argosy for scrap.

The problem you are having is with the depth of the wall pocket. It does not follow the curvature of the wall because it is made for straight line. Even if you could form it for now somehow, come summer heat, it will buckle in all directions. If you could find one of heavier cross section and a shallow wall pocket, you could make it work. Even if you had aluminum TT trim with 1/4" deep pocket, the sides will buckle as you attempt to curve it. I am not aware of existence of a suitable trim for that application. If you order Argosy trim the shipping in that length will be an issue, but you can ask Ryan to cut it in half at the beginning of the curve for shipping. Since the trim is formed and it cannot be straightened. Sorry, that I could not be of more help to you. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73
I say go back to the beginning. Get another panel and cut it for a better match to get closer to the shape of your trailer. Get some plastic "welting" from a vintage trailer supply. Apply the welting to the back of the new panel before installing. After you have installed the new panel with the welting you can caulk behind the welting so it doesn't look like a shower made of caulk.

Ed/Breadbug
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote