Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Shower Pan Removal (Pics)

I have removed the screws and drain from the shower pan and everything appears to be loose. How do I take the pan out without cracking it? Do I pull form the top or pull up from the bottom bending the sides in (especially around the knobs).
See pics. Borrowed the photos from another poster who did not seem to get an answer to his question.

I have to replace rotten wood.

Akronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Well, I wound up getting p***** off and gave the shower liner a tug from the bottom and it came out. See pics below. Wasted that time to find out nothing was wrong underneath (Pic One) . Oh well. The reason I pulled it out was that on the other side of the wall the area is rotted (see pic 2). I assumed the wood would be wet in the shower area. I have a fan on it and maybe I can get lucky and not have to move anything to replace the wood.

Pic One:

Pic Two:

Old 06-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
So, you figure out what the cause was? Worn out caulking ?

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Try "Git-rot" or similar product. Saved us a lot of work!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Just guessing based on photos. 1, cracked wheel well - it's two piece I think, a black piece on the outside and a cream colored one on the inside. It's not uncommon for the black one to crack (according to the VAP). 2, that looks like a hot water heater to the left. Where the HWH exits to the exterior, mine was not properly caulked and leaked during a heavy rain.
I hate leaks, they are sooo hard to find.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
Just guessing based on photos. 1, cracked wheel well - it's two piece I think, a black piece on the outside and a cream colored one on the inside. It's not uncommon for the black one to crack (according to the VAP). 2, that looks like a hot water heater to the left. Where the HWH exits to the exterior, mine was not properly caulked and leaked during a heavy rain.
I hate leaks, they are sooo hard to find.
Can I remove the cream colored wheel well "easily" to see if the exterior piece is cracked? Can't really see anything from the outside because of the wheels.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Try "Git-rot" or similar product. Saved us a lot of work!
Went to Lowes this morning and picked up a similar product. Never even thought about it. I love these forums! Hopefully that wll take care of it. Hoping that the wheel well is not cracked as mentioned by another reply
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lake worth , Florida
Did you end up replacing the shower liner plastic? I have the exact same setup with holes in the corners and trying to figure out a solution. The plastic has been resistant too all attempts to glue and patch it. Maybe a new shower pan? Has anyone else replaced this?
vreten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Update?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
Here is a fiberglass unit from Inland RV that may work. Would LOVE to talk with someone who has actually utilized one of these in their repair.

http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/prod...3913c29d2765a1
voxmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Little River , South Carolina
Getting ready to take on the same task after this camping excursion is done on Sunday. How did you get the drain out? Just unscrew? I've struggled with stuck drains before and my last AS I had to just cut the plumbing once I got everything loose. Did you use a specific tool to grab the drain to twist it out?
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronguy View Post
I have removed the screws and drain from the shower pan and everything appears to be loose...

I'm removing the shower pan from my '92 Excella center bath. Looks pretty much like yours. How did you remove the drain flange? Mine had a 3 leg center piece, but it broke immediately when I put pressure on it. I guess my main concern is if there is a nut or something is holding it from the back?

I'd appreciate your help if your are available. Heck, I'll appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Hi Pete, it does indeed unthread. If you have broken the inner cross out of it you may be left with a surgical cut to split it, I have to do that from time to time being a plumber and sometimes is the only answer. Of course you will need to find a new one but it's not a rare part. the trick is to use a fine saw blade and not cut any deeper than the metal drain fitting.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Hi Pete, it does indeed unthread. If you have broken the inner cross out of it you may be left with a surgical cut to split it, I have to do that from time to time being a plumber and sometimes is the only answer. Of course you will need to find a new one but it's not a rare part. the trick is to use a fine saw blade and not cut any deeper than the metal drain fitting.

Greetings Alan!

Thanks for coming to my rescue again. What about something like one of these tub drain flange removers. A few of them don't rely on the cross piece center, they seem to work by expansion and grip. If I have to cut it, it's fine, as it's not in good shape. I do plan and hope to save the pan and reuse it in my makeover.

Also, I wasn't clear on your answer. I believe you are saying that the drain flange does thread in and out of the drain line (P-trap). Does it just thread in and out of the drain line or is there some kind nut holding it that needs to come off to remove it? Looking on YouTube before posting my help request on this thread, I saw a couple of videos that involved RV tub flange nuts like on a sink drain flange. The few residential tub drain flanges I've dealt with always threaded into the drain line.

Thanks,
Pete
p.s. Are we talking modified hacksaw or reciprocating saw?
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Fwiw, the shower drain is the same drain as found in a bar sink. Lowes and HD both carry 2 different types. One is just a drain, and the other is just a drain but has pop up plug. Either are less than $10.
upon reinstallation, use plenty of plumbers putty, use the big rubber gasket on the bottom side, and tighten the big nut tight enough!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Fwiw, the shower drain is the same drain as found in a bar sink. Lowes and HD both carry 2 different types. One is just a drain, and the other is just a drain but has pop up plug. Either are less than $10.
upon reinstallation, use plenty of plumbers putty, use the big rubber gasket on the bottom side, and tighten the big nut tight enough!

Thanks.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4