Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Arlington , Washington
Shower pan cracked

This is on a 1973 23ft Land Yacht. Shower pan cracked and brittle. What is the best fix??
sledguyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Mine was really yellowed and nasty so I fixed cracks in it with West Systems Gflex epoxy which is designed for plastics and hard to bond surfaces. After that I sanded, primed with Interlux perfection two part primer (boating product) and the three coats of Perfection paint. I used a roller and it looks factory new now. I have used this paint on several boats and its bulletproof.

I bought everything from Jamestown Distributors online.

You have to make sure everything is really clean (acetone/etc) to get rid of any oil residues/soap scum, etc. before doing the repair work.
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Arlington , Washington
mtbguy: Thanks for the info. Still have a question. The corner with the 2-3 inch crack is a little flexible, i e with the crack the pan has the ability to deflect the 1/4 to 3/8 inch untill the pan hits the floor. Do you open up the crack to get an epoxy putty in and under the crack so it can not move?? Is the West system a fiberglass system where you lay in glass cloth?? I like your fix as the alternative is removing the pan which looks to be a chore, as to get to the shower drain it looks like the belly pan needs to come off. By the way, maybe taking the belly pan off just to see whats there is a good idea. What do you think?? Thanks again sledguyron
sledguyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
How about fiberglass? They have kits you can buy at any hardware store and I used it on my outside shower that had corner cracks.... worked like a champ!.

Just saying.. )

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote