Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
shower hot water disappeared...how?

I have a 2007 27ft FB Safari. Recently (very recently; I'm camped out near New Orleans) the hot water in the shower has ceased to flow. There is plenty of cold water flow in the shower. There are no general issues with hot water elsewhere in the trailer (bath and kitchen sinks work fine). I'm flummoxed. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, freezing is not an issue....temperatures are well abive that.

Many thanks for any ideas!

ps I'm linked into city water at present.
glenamoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I would venture a guess its the mixer valve. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Yep. The valve disassembles from the front. You'll need an Allen wrench.

Probably a piece of debris in one of the little passages. Easy enough to fix after you get it apart.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
but they didn't tell you WHERE to find that mixer valve did they? Well it's part of the control handle on the shower. You access it on the 25 FB through the closet wall. There's a panel you can remove on the right hand side of the closet.

Oh, and turn the water pump OFF and turn off the water coming through your white hose, AND let the other taps drain before you mess with it. If it's not too dumb to mention, take ALL of the clothes out of the closet FIRST. No shortcuts, you'll live to regret it if you leave your wife's shoes in the closet!

Payka
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
It is a Moen valve and can be purchased at your local Home Depot or Lowes. It is accessed through the front but you do need an Allen wrench as well as a little plastic tool that is furnished when you buy a new valve.

Considering the time and eventually your peace of mind I would suggest that you replace the valve. They are not that expensive and the guy at the store can explain how to replace it.

When I purchased my '06 trailer it came with a leaking shower valve. I had to replace it off the get go and it was rather painless. I would give you the model number but all the documentation is out with the trailer in the storage lot under about 2 feet of snow. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

Good luck.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
You don`t want to go thru the closet,if it has a lever metal handle,you will need an allen wrench to get handle off,it goes up thru bottom of handle.Take out allen screw and remove handle,under that you will find a phillips screw,remove it ,white plastic and sleeve should pull off.There is a clip that will pull out the top.If your lucky,the cartridge will pull out[make sure you have the water shut off],you can try taking the cartridge apart and greasing it or go but a new cartridge.When you put cartridge back in you cannot tell if is on or off,so just get the cart. in with the clip holding it in.Turn on water and turn center till valve is off.Then reassemble. Hope this helps. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Moen Lifetime Limited Warranty

Moen valves come with a wonderful lifetime limited warranty -

Warranty Information for Moen Faucets

if you don't know the Moen model number, start here -

Replacement Parts

if the valve cartridge is defective they will replace it for free, virtually nqa, if you make your request here -

Moen's Contact / Help Information and Phone Number

I've never had any problem with the "Proof of purchase available" question when answering No. they commonly ship & deliver via USPS within a week.

HD + Lowes also offer "Danco" branded replacement parts that fit Moen fixtures that are not as good as the Moen part, so beware.

you might also want to try pulling the valve cartridge out and soaking it over night in vinegar, rinsing it, lubing it, and reinstalling it....

ditto all the above comments on depressurizing the water system first!

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
you might also want to flush the valve body out first before reinstalling the valve cartridge.

get a few rags ready, and the shoes out of the way, and turn your pump or hose supply on for ~ 5 to 10 seconds.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
JM2 has great information.

One thing to think about. After you have taken off the handle and removed the plastic part and the spring clip you will need to rotate the body of the valve before you pull it out. This was the part I had forgotten when I did mine. I have these same valves in my house and have replaced a few but had forgotten about the rotation part of the process.

I was going to simply take it out, clean it, lube it up and replace it. After lots of tugging and pulling I decided to go get a new one and when I read the directions included I remembered. The little plastic tool allows you to slip it over the valve body and rotate it with a crescent wrench. It then comes out easily and all you do is go through the steps in reverse order to replace the new one.

I would also suggest that you flush the lines as well. Close the shower door, turn on the water and then go in and replace the valve.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cool - thanks, I didn't think about just taking off the handle. Mine hasn't fouled up (yet) so now I know what to do if/when it does.

I don't need a New Year's Resolution to "learn something new every day" as long as I check in on this forum.

Thanks Again Paula
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
Wow...this is all great information. Many Thanks!!

SO
ounds a bit involved to fix now while camped, especially since my days are filled with planned activities. I'll just keep using the trailer park showers until I get back home...where I have my tools and a Home Depot. With this information I'll know just what to do.

Happy New Years, y'all.
glenamoy is offline   Reply With Quote