Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Shower Drain Leak Solved

Posting this for posterity in case someone else has a similar problem.

I had a leak from the shower of my 27FB. Checked the pressure side from the wardrobe access panel and all is dry. Water would drip from under the access panels. Tested drain by bringing in a bucket of water to pour into the shower which then would leak. Fortunately, the water would leak only into the bellypan and not the interior floor.

Problem was the p-trap. Collar attaching the p-trap to the shower drain became brittle over the years and failed.

Access for a 27FB cannot be done under the belly as I found out. The plumbing is behind the banana-wrap outside of the frame rails. Fortunately, the 27FB interior has a furnace hose conduit between the end of the bed and shower closet. Take cover off, and pull furnace hose back under the shower. Reaching blindly into the little 5" hole there, I was able to remove the P-trap by feel and unscrew both collars.

Here's the pieces necessary to rebuild the p-trap:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASptrap.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	362894

I used this kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also needed a short bit of 1.5" pipe, and 1.5" pipe coupler
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
Thank you for this! I want to inspect the shower plumbing for piece of mind in our 27FB soon - good to know I can access this through the furnace outlet hole.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Keizer , Oregon
Hi
Too much glue weakens the plastic in the fittings. I have a tendency to over-do and have had to replace many plastic plumbing projects I did a year earlier due to breaking at the glue joint. Just a thin single once around with the glue swab brush and a twist as you push them together.
Good Luck!
Ahroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Actually, the piece that broke is what's called the strainer adapter. The screw collar piece specifically, which has no glue around that part.

It was surprising brittle, on my 2007 Airstream after 13 years. Seems like a common failure from searching around the web, even on other brand RVs.

The whole p-trap needed to be replaced as this strainer adapter is glued into the rest of the assembly.

Name:	rvstraineradapter.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	364156
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a recurring leak in the shower drain of my previous MH. The shower had a brass fitting with threads and the drain connected with ABS pipe which ran horizontally. It always cracked at the junction. As I drove the MH flexed enough to tug on the pipe and eventually crack.
Finally I made a flexible connection between the brass drain fitting and the ABS drain pipe using a common rubber joint. NO MORE CRACKS!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flexible-rubber-coupling_4560808.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	364157  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #6

2009 22' Sport
Winnipeg , MB
Shower drain plumbing above or below?

The shower drain in my 2010 Sport 22 leaks. Water seeps out above the floor, no dripping below that I can see. How do I access the drain....disassemble shower or remove sections of belly pan?
Ted Winia is offline   Reply With Quote