Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #1

Mesachie Lake , british columbia
Replacing rv toilet with regular one

Hi all, We will be living in our newly aquired 31' 1975 sovereign. Can we replace the old rv toilet (ugly plastic) with a regular house one?
kora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There are RV toilets made of china. Sealand is one manufacturer.

You only want to use a regular toilet if you are permanently connected to a sewer line. They use a lot of water and would fill up a RV black water tank pretty quickly.

If you have a permanent sewer connection, you need to protect it from frost in northern latitudes.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hi Kora ,

check out the sealand traveler lite models . they are high quality ,made of porcelin ,come in different shades ,white and bone ,maybe more , best of all they look like a regular toilet .Not cheap ,not plastic ,my choice for our tradewind.They are available in high or low .

scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sealand Traveler is a very popular RV throne. You might also look at the Thetford Aria II. Nice porcelain and electric push button flush........very chic! .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
We have the Sealand china toilet and love it. I even had my restoration guy make a new blue vinyl covered seat to close over and hide the toilet, when not in use. Since the Sealand sits higher than the original Starlite toilet, you can't reuse the original (in my case) avocado vinyl cover.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #6

09j09jm , Arizona
400 bucks not ill get one at home depot there not gold they are posilin
cttttttttttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #7

09j09jm , Arizona
48.99 on sale
cttttttttttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Kora,

It will not work and will uses way tooooo much water! Not to mention the weight and sheer size...

Happy flushing...

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Costco

I'm redoing my 1976 and have done everything to stay away from the high cost of RV parts store. I got a standard very nice one with all accessory for $99 at Costco. it has the two buttons and one will use a lot less water. You will have to pore antifreeze in the tank and plunger the excess water out to keep from coming out when you yank and bank your AS.
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
" . . . yank and bank your AS."
Hahahaha!!!! That's funny!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
You either need to delete your black tank,or be ready to dump it very often,if your leave the dump handle open you will be building up a large collection of poo in your tank.
Before you run out and buy a residential toilet,measure from bolt holes to wall,most rvs are 10",so you will have to order a 10" rough toilet,if you are 12" you can pick that up about anywhere. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If you camp ever anywhere other than full hook up sites I would not even consider this change due to the water useage.. There is also the issue of would it even physically fit.
When we boondock, which is most of the time, our total water use is about 5 gallons per day for everything. That is only a couple flushes on a modern household toilet
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Thetford, not Dometic - from a Dometic user

Kora, others thinking of a ceramic toilet:

These are shots of the Dometic/Sealand ceramic toilet model called the CONCERTO taken during my renovation about 4 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bath 1.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	119523

Click image for larger version

Name:	bath 2.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	119524

The ceramic toilets developed for use in RV’s are certainly a lot nicer than the cheap looking plastic models. (Household toilets sold at Home Depot and other places aren’t made for the realities of mobile life.)

As an experienced user I would recommend the THETFORD Aria II, sight unseen, not the Dometic.

The main reason is that you can deal direct with Thetford. They will ship you a spare or replacement part the next day.

Dometic won’t even talk to you. You have to call “authorized dealers” who usually don’t stock the parts for these less common ceramic toilets. Calling around, you will find delivery times ranging in the weeks, not days, and pricing will be all over the map.

What good is that when you don’t have a toilet?

Companies that do business like Dometic are set up to please their distributors, not their end users. They see the distributor as their important customer, not you.

The flush handle on the Concerto also has a design fault. The main shaft, which operates under spring-loaded stress, is made of PLASTIC when it should have been metal. Plastic is subject to shearing where metal won’t.

Mine has sheared off I my hand. That’s why I can tell you everything I’m telling you from actual user experience.

So,

(1) The Thetford model uses more sensible push buttons in place of the force-operated handle.

(2) They offer technical service and sell fairly priced parts direct, over the phone. They recognize that the user is their real customer.

Sergei

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post182701
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
RV Toilet

If you pull the trailer down the road and the toilet tank is full. It won't be that way for long. Use a toilet designed for RV's, there are plenty out there to choose from.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I won't comment on why some folks 'know better' when it comes to using domestic parts and appliances in an RV rather than RV-specific parts. Foolish is as foolish does and they will eventually pay the consequences. Whether it is a toilet, household refrigerator, domestic tankless water heater and the like. NONE are RVIA certified for use in a mobile environment, but ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

As a factory authorized service center for both Dometic and Norcold, I can tell you that Dometic prefers to have all of their products serviced and installed by factory trained and qualified RV techs. That is the primary reason for their restrictive business model. They are doing quite well with it, BTW.

Thetford has other issues, like the HUGE recall now under way on some of their refrigerators, but they feel that they can exist with selling thru multiple sources, along with direct to the consumer. Their tech support is no where near as good as that of Dometic, nor is it really geared to talk directly to the consumer, but that again is another story.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote