Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Hubbard , Ohio
replacement toilet

my husband and are restoring our 1976 Sovereign Land Yacht. The only thing I did not gut was the bathroom. my brother removed the toilet and need advise on the best replacement toilet. The area we are placing it in is only 18" wide. I have Fibromyalgia and need a high rise toilet. I need advise on the best toilet out there that will fit this spot.
Anairstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
You might find some inspiration in this blog post, where I talk about upgrading a Thetford to a Dometic toilet.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
I have a brand new Aqua-Magic V High Profile toilet that you may have if you can arrange pickup or will cover shipping. I had installed it and then found it wasn't the same shape as the Bravura we had so it left areas underneath it with flooring exposed instead of carpeting... Picked up a Bravura and put that in instead.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Hubbard , Ohio
could you give me the measurements on it? white or bone? where are you located?
Anairstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I would suggest looking into a aftermarket toilet seat while you are at it. Got a nice open ended one with a one inch raise to boot.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anairstream2 View Post
could you give me the measurements on it? white or bone? where are you located?
You should be able to find measurements online if you look the toilet up. I am out in my Airstream for the next three weeks so I can't measure...

I am in Maryland (when I am at home). I believe the toilet is white.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
One thing to keep in mind with the Thetford toilet is that the mounting bolts are at roughly 11:00 and 5:00. Other RV toilets and possibly the Dometic have their bolts at 9:00 and 3:00 like a residential model.

Some people have claimed that they were able to remove the screws that attach the closet (toilet) flange to the floor, and rotate it to the proper orientation, since I guess it screws into the holding tank under the floor.

A few years ago I had my original Thetford toilet out to install a new vinyl floor. See my blog post 'Rear Admiral' the part called 'Inside Story' which has a photo of the closet flange and mounting bolts.

Although I planned to keep the original Thetford toilet, I wanted to check how easy it was to rotate the closet flange, should I want to upgrade in the future. After removing the screws that hold it to the subfloor, I was not able to turn it. I even improvised a spanner wrench to engage the slots for the mounting bolts and put as much force on it as I dared, but eventually gave up because I didn't want to break anything.

My point is (at long last) before purchasing a new toilet that will require rotating the closet flange, I would remove your existing toilet and see if that flange can be rotated.

FYI, all parts and seals for your old Thetford toilet are still available and not too difficult to replace. Thetford's Bravura toilet, which is a newer model, supposedly uses their old style mounting bolt pattern, if you feel you need a total replacement.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
on the road , TN
On Toilet Bowls Subject, do they offer a higher one for people with disabilities? And even a open Front seat? Being Disabled And Not Giving Up And Still Camping Is Great!
Thanks for all the great ideas! Alden Miller Thanks also maybe there is a higher toilet?
Merry Christmas Too all And A Happy Healthy New Years! If Still available That Toilet Holler?
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote