Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Replacement outdoor shower

Did a search, but I can find no reference to anyone installing the Dura Faucet on their Airstream to replace the stock outdoor shower. I just purchased one and am looking for some advise on the installation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3169US..._t1_B073X9HBST
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

2011 27 FB International
Windsor , Colorado
When you get this... please let me know if the housing fits in the airstream and how it works. Would love to install. Thanks.
Markhoog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhoog4 View Post
When you get this... please let me know if the housing fits in the airstream and how it works. Would love to install. Thanks.

Fits great and much better than stock! Here are some pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6423.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	363935Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6424.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	363936Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6425.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	363937
Old 03-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Did a search, but I can find no reference to anyone installing the Dura Faucet on their Airstream to replace the stock outdoor shower. I just purchased one and am looking for some advise on the installation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3169US..._t1_B073X9HBST
bill rector, just curious, what motivated you to switch out the OEM unit. I've never been happy with mine as it leaks sometimes for unknown reasons. Your thoughts?
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
bill rector, just curious, what motivated you to switch out the OEM unit. I've never been happy with mine as it leaks sometimes for unknown reasons. Your thoughts?

I thought the stock unit was junk. My hose was too short and kinked. This unit has a very long hose that disconnects with a quick connection and the spray pattern is good.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

2011 27 FB International
Windsor , Colorado
Thanks. I'll order!

How did you get the original housing unit off? I removed all the screws....but the unit is still tight/secure. How did you remove? Thanks for sharing!
Markhoog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Following

“Be thankful we’re not getting all the government we’re paying for” Will Rogers
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Cool. If been looking for a workable shower over the leaky thing Airstream supplies. Did you move the shower head hanger over from the old box? Also, do the screw holes line up and does it come with a gasket? Thanks!
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
Following! Our outdoor shower is close to useless. Hardly any pressure to work with. An outdoor shower is something we would use very often if it actually provided adequate pressure.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
I thought mine was a problem with ultra low pressure. Did you find the pressure much better with this sprayer?? I can’t tell if you replaced the whole box or just the sprayer. Thanks for solving the issue!
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhoog4 View Post
Thanks. I'll order!

How did you get the original housing unit off? I removed all the screws....but the unit is still tight/secure. How did you remove? Thanks for sharing!

It may just be stuck to the aluminum. Try to use a credit card or some thin plastic to see if the gasket is free from the aluminum.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Cool. If been looking for a workable shower over the leaky thing Airstream supplies. Did you move the shower head hanger over from the old box? Also, do the screw holes line up and does it come with a gasket? Thanks!

I replaced the entire box. I did not much be the hanger from the stock box. It is a direct replacement and all screws lined up.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
I thought mine was a problem with ultra low pressure. Did you find the pressure much better with this sprayer?? I can’t tell if you replaced the whole box or just the sprayer. Thanks for solving the issue!

Yes, the pressure is better. I replaced the entire box.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The best outdoor shower design, IMO, is the one in the Living Vehicle.
Beautiful and functional.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Yes, the pressure is better. I replaced the entire box.

Was just thinking of this! NO....I did not replace the entire box. Below is what I bought.

Dura Faucet DF-SA186-WT RV... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3169US...p_mob_ap_share
Old 07-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
We' own a 2018 Classic M30 which has a full solar package and I'm planning on doing the same in the form of replacing the OE exterior faucet with a Empire quick connect faucet and coil hose.

Curious as to how to remove the seat bottom of our dining booth to gain access to the backside (inlet) plumbing connections. Anyone here know how the bench seat bottom is attached, i.e. screwed/bolted down or held in place by cabinet type latches? I know that the sides are held in place by cabinet latches but prefer to do the work from the top-side.

As shown in the photo, the space under our dining booth bench seat where the exterior plumbing is located is fairly tight (due to the LifePro 4 lithiums and MPPT solar controller/wiring) so i want to make certain of good, tight and leakproof connections to the new/replacement faucet but unsure how the top bench seat is held in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMSolar Install Williams, Rick 021820-2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	374007  
Old 07-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
We' own a 2018 Classic M30 which has a full solar package and I'm planning on doing the same in the form of replacing the OE exterior faucet with a Empire quick connect faucet and coil hose.

Curious as to how to remove the seat bottom of our dining booth to gain access to the backside (inlet) plumbing connections. Anyone here know how the bench seat bottom is attached, i.e. screwed/bolted down or held in place by cabinet type latches? I know that the sides are held in place by cabinet latches but prefer to do the work from the top-side.

As shown in the photo, the space under our dining booth bench seat where the exterior plumbing is located is fairly tight (due to the LifePro 4 lithiums and MPPT solar controller/wiring) so i want to make certain of good, tight and leakproof connections to the new/replacement faucet but unsure how the top bench seat is held in place.
UPDATE - found a photo of my actual dining booth with the top cushion removed when the solar system was installed by AM Solar in Oregon. My issue now is learning how to safely remove the front base upholstered kick panel of the dining booth base so that I can access the bolt/nut holding the top cushion down and in place - without damaging either the upholstered kick panel or the Alde Hydronic radiator tube shield/cosmetic cover. I am uncertain as to how the Alde Shield/Covers attach. Please see attached .pdf drawing and comments.

Access to Panel removal.pdf
Old 07-29-2020, 04:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
UPDATE - found a photo of my actual dining booth with the top cushion removed when the solar system was installed by AM Solar in Oregon. My issue now is learning how to safely remove the front base upholstered kick panel of the dining booth base so that I can access the bolt/nut holding the top cushion down and in place - without damaging either the upholstered kick panel or the Alde Hydronic radiator tube shield/cosmetic cover. I am uncertain as to how the Alde Shield/Covers attach. Please see attached .pdf drawing and comments.

Attachment 374022

Why not just make the connection from the outside. If you remove the screws holding the existing box in, you can easily see how much room you have to pull the box out to access the connections. I had plenty.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:35 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Why not just make the connection from the outside. If you remove the screws holding the existing box in, you can easily see how much room you have to pull the box out to access the connections. I had plenty.
Got it figured out. The AM Solar folks were smart enough to know that someday, from some reason, someone would need to lift that dining seat base again, i.e. access solar charger, batteries or wiring so they did not reinstall the seat bench cap nut that is close to the wall.

All I had to do was remove the end panel and two 3/4 nuts from the seat bench, lift and remove. Now have clear access to the backside of the exterior shower housing.

Looking at it, I doubt I'd been able to pull the housing far enough out from the outside and want to make certain of proper inlet hose connections to the backside of the faucet, i.e. no leaks.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
[QUOTE=rewillia;2390636]

Posting to aid possible others that need info on how to remove dining booth base seat cushion to gain access to exterior water faucet connections. I purposely chose this route (seat removal) in lieu of trying to pry the external shower housing (box) out and away from the side of the trailer owing to a risk of 1) damaging the skin (its tight) or 2) not being certain of good, tight sealing of the water connections on the back-side of it once I change out the faucet.

As shown, this is my 2018 Classic M30 that has a full solar/lithium system installed.

Basically, by design there are 3 ea. 3/4-SAE Nuts that secure the seat bottom to its frame. (fortunately, in my case, AM Solar recognized that there may be future need to access the area beneath the seat cushion and did not reinstall the nut frame nearest to the wall (top right), and instead installed a small L-bracket secure the front kick panel (with MPPT and shutoffs mounted).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Dining Booth Base Cushion Removal.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	374427