Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Repairing Moen Faucet?

Hi,

I woke up to a small leak coming from the handle of my Moen Torrance #87484 kitchen faucet.

Full time RV'er and working full time, almost 2 full years full time so it gets used daily. While I have the skills to simply replace I also have sciatica and not in the mode to be crawling around underneath fighting with it.

Anyone have any luck replacing parts...the cartridge etc? Maybe just an O ring...? I'd been in ultra hard water environs and only got a water softener a few months ago. Maybe some scale could be cleaned...?

Dang! This faucet is now over $100! I know warrantied and have a call into Moen but fear it would be days to weeks to get a replacement faucet so would have to go out of pocket. Again not a big deal aside from difficulty of me installing due to back issues.

IF I go replacement route is this the best option? I'm of a "buy the best and cry once" mind so don't mind a high end upgrade if I have to do myself.

Thanks!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Moen has a lifetime warranty (still, I hope?).

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Moen has a lifetime warranty (still, I hope?).
Yea, if you can get them to send parts. We just had a new bath tub installed last year at the house with a very expensive faucet from Moen. It leaked and took 8 months to get a part. Hope you have better luck. Doesn't help your back though.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
I have been treated very well by Moen. It can be difficult to get ahold of a human but once I accomplished that parts/replacements were in hand within a reasonable time.

As an example, my kitchen faucet ($$$) developed an irreparable leak after about 10 years of use. That particular model was discontinued so I was given 4 similar options to choose from and it arrived about a week later. That made me into a pretty loyal customer.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Most Moen faucets have easy-to-replace cartridges and such, and they are available at any good hardware store.

Here's some information: https://www.moen.com/customer-suppor...ge-replacement

Me? I'd just buy pull the cartridge and take to the nearest Ace Hardware to get a replacement. Lots easier and probably faster than even looking into a warranty claim.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Moen faucets are very easy to repair. The post above #45 moen customer support shows exactly how to do. The cartridges are avble big box ie home depot etc they just slip in, but use grease supplied or lub. cartridge makes easy, If you cannot pull cart. out there is real cheap puller. I have Delta & Moen faucets, Moen is much easier to repair.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
Our Moen kitchen sink faucet in our AS began leaking at the base a year ago. I thought it was the cartridge but it turns out it was just an O ring. You can try that first. They are very easy to disassemble. Get a variety pack of O rings and some lube in the plumbing isle and see if that doesnt fix the problem. The only other thing it could be would be the cartridge. The O ring would be the less expensive so see if it's that at first.
rfequity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
My Moen faucet was disconintued…but Moen sent a complete similar unit which was an easy replacement with no modifications required.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
We had the same issue, Airstream replaced the whole faucet in Jackson Center. Apparently the handle gets installed wrongly in production and then causes damage.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Thanks everyone!

Fixed it with 2 new O rings. $6.

Moen is sending me a set of O rings and a cartridge but not necessary now. But I'll have a spare.

BTW I bought them at a plumber wholesale that usually has counter service. Amazon was $11 for the same kit. They'll usually sell stuff like this to none pros to help ya out!

I'll tell ya caused it; hard water! There was a great deal of deposits along where the faucet rids on the O rings. Evidently it had eaten away enough to cause the leak. I soaked the faucet part in CLR then went at it with my 3M radial brittle wheels to shine up the inside like smooth! Lots of silicone grease and it's smoother than when brand new!

I started with a water softener just a few months ago and glad I did! I spend most of my time in the SW and it's diamond hard! last spot outside of Yuma if you sprayed the hose on the ground it left white deposits when dry! Salty too!

Do yourself a favor; get a water softener! Nothing a bigger hassle that plumbing in an AS! Hard to get at is only half of it!

Thanks!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote