Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
POR15 White coat question

This is a more appropriate area to ask the question than the Argosy forum I have (briefly) discussed it on.
I am having difficulty getting hold of P15 WC. I can order it direct but shipping will make it quite expensive.
After some research, I have found out that this is a urethane product. What I was trying to find out was if this is similar, or the same as, the many liquid melamine or liquid plastic paints that are also available. If they are the same, then I think I would like to go that route because they can be bought in varying colours and it would be nice to change the colour of the bathroom.
Thanks for any advice or experience you have had

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
See if you can get it thru a local Auto Body Supply. My friends dad ownes one and I order thru him.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
WhiteCoat is not a urethane paint, it is a two-part paint. You add a supplied hardner/activator just before use.

There is information and pictures in this recent thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...e-77238-2.html

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
My local Auto body/paint store is the only supplier locally. They will not bring in a small volume.

When I called the POR15 guys and said I was concerned about putting an epoxy on the ABS they were quick to say its not an epoxy, its a urethane, as are all our products.

So now I am confused.
I shall call them again on Tuesday.
What about substitutes though, any thoughts or ideas?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Did you read the Forum link above?

Here's the link to POR 15 Canada. Note that there are 4 nearby dealers in ALBERTA

POR-15 ® Rust Preventive Paint - Stop Rust Permanently
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Bex have you tried here:
Buy POR-15 Coatings from Canada-POR15.com
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
SmokelessJoe-CAPS is nearest and the one that will not bring it in. The others a 3+ hours away, no worthwhile to drive there for a quart.

wasagachris I have. Its $90.00 for a quart. If the same (type) of product can be bought elsewhere that I am looking at, its $37.00 for a US Gal and comes in different colours.

POR15 dont actually say what their product is, just what it will do, as do many of these others.
I will try to get an MSDS for the other products and compare it to POR15 Whitecote.
Latex paint is latex paint, gloss is gloss, all I am trying to do is make a similar comparison.

I appreciate what you have all contributed to try and help here but my original question (regardless of urethane or whatever) has not been answered yet and that is:
Is there a substitute, by another name, that I can use. I have seen liquid plastic, plastic enamel, gel coat finish (I think gel coat finish might be what whitecote is). Most of these (particularly a homehardware beauti tone product) can be got in different colours, thats one difference between all of these and whitecote.