Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Pondering outdoor shower....

I have been thinking about my Trade Winds shower, more specifically how short it is. I remember seeing where some folks had installed outdoor showers on the side of their coaches. I like the idea of an outdoor shower for when I am boondocking, but not cutting up my trailer. So after giving it some thought here is what I am thinking (ok loose use of the word). It seems to me all I really need are taps for hot and cold water on the outside, some sort of mixing device and maybe a privacy shelter like http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...097&hasJS=true .
Has anybody else gone this route, have ideas, drawings, photos? I would love to hear what you have come up with…..

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Rodney, Your Tradewind's shower is one of more roomy showers in vintage trailers. You must be too tall! I installed an outside shower on a '69 Overlander inside the rear compartment door. There was plenty of room to mount the faucets up under the horizontal shelf. I used the Phoenix P/N 4012 shower faucet and a 6' telephone shower kit from a plumbing supply store. Since it all fits inside the rear compartment, there are no holes to cut in the exterior skin, just remove the compartment door to access the shower. I made a removeable aluminum clip that hooked over the rear window rain gutter to hold the shower head. You could just as easily use a longer shower hose to reach the cabanna-type tent you've found. The purpose of the Overlander's outside shower was to wash sand off kids and dogs, not for serious showering, thus no surround or curtain. Darol

v
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Rodney,

I have been a tent camper for many years and have used the portable hot shower (propane) unit sold in many hunting and fishing catalogs. The unit stores in a plastic container that doubles as a water tank that lasts for a good long shower. You can use 5 gal busket if you want more water. I am the same way about my Caravel - I cannot imagine me in the shower without sitting down. I have already made the quick connect propane fitting connection to the trailer tanks and will use the portable shower unit with a long propane hose when I am camping in remote areas. No modification required to the trailer.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Rodney,
I really would like an outdoor shower. Don't want a whole lot of extra set up. Don't want to cut up the trailer.

I was thinking about installing exterior valves ( faucets ) to my hot and cold drain pipes, and hook them up to a shower wand ( or something ). A few mentors here and there weren't thrilled with the idea. They thought the faucets would be at the lowest point and collect junk, and that they would be too exposed to the elements while traveling.

I still like the idea though Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
An improvised (low tech) camping showering device:
Acquire one large stainless steel fire extinguisher.
Replace the nozzle with a longer hose and small off/on showerhead.
Fill with water and heat it on a stove until its just warm enough for you.
Add a few pounds of air pressure. (We all have air pumps of some kind.)
Elevate it a little and take what some call a “navy shower.”

When I lived and worked in some third-world boondocks.
All I used was a bucket to dip water from a large rain barrel.
Three showers a day and no real soap.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:20 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a thread that talks about this same issue. It includes all of the AS parts required to install it. http://www.airforums.com/forum...ers-10732.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
For years I used a large (3 gallon) galvanized sprinkling can for a shower (idea taken from an old Boy Scouts manual). After heating the water over a burner or campfire I tied a rope to the handle and pulled it off the ground from a tree limb or whatever. A length of rope hanging down off the spout tipped water onto me as needed when I yanked it. Being a real man, I never needed a shower curtain <g>. However, having some flat rocks to stand on and keep my feet out of the mud was a necessity.
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote