Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Please help me understand proper venting and is there a typical toilet flange set bac

Could some one give me a venting 101 lesson? I am ordering new tanks tomorrow, I hope. A black and a gray so I am lining things out so I can call out inlets.

When venting a sink is it proper to take vent off the drainpipe after the P trap? If I am see the old bathroom sink in 1973 Tradewind set up correctly, the 1½ Abs drain pipe goes into a 2” stack vent as the vent and water goes down to valve. This 2” stack also picks up the on deck black tank vent and below floor grey pipe (no tank) from kitchen sink and shower.

Related issue, I am planning on hooking the kitchen sink and shower to the new 25-gallon gray tank but wanted to pick up the low usage bathroom sink into the black. The new black tank is 25 gallon and the old was at the most 13 gallon. What I have heard is you typically run out of gray before black tank. Is this ok thinking?

Also is there a standard or typical set back from the wall for the toilet flange for RV toilets? I am concerned about placement fore/ aft on black tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony S

Rogue River
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
Could some one give me a venting 101 lesson? I am ordering new tanks tomorrow, I hope. A black and a gray so I am lining things out so I can call out inlets.

When venting a sink is it proper to take vent off the drainpipe after the P trap? If I am see the old bathroom sink in 1973 Tradewind set up correctly, the 1½ Abs drain pipe goes into a 2” stack vent as the vent and water goes down to valve. This 2” stack also picks up the on deck black tank vent and below floor grey pipe (no tank) from kitchen sink and shower.

Related issue, I am planning on hooking the kitchen sink and shower to the new 25-gallon gray tank but wanted to pick up the low usage bathroom sink into the black. The new black tank is 25 gallon and the old was at the most 13 gallon. What I have heard is you typically run out of gray before black tank. Is this ok thinking?

Also is there a standard or typical set back from the wall for the toilet flange for RV toilets? I am concerned about placement fore/ aft on black tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony S

Rogue River
I would suggest that you can the idea of running gray water, or even the possibilty of it, into the black tank.

Should for any reason, that black tank become over filled, the contents will line the gray water plumbing.

Then, you will have a problem that just won't go away.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The vents on the drain lines after the 'p' traps are to prevent the flow of water from siphoning the water out of the 'p' trap. Having the 'p' trap full prevents fumes from the sewer system from entering the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks Andy Advice take Idea canned. I remember reading your explanation about bacteria in the past now that you mention it.

Do you suggest separate vents for gray and black tanks?

Tony
Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
Do you suggest separate vents for gray and black tanks?

Tony
Absolutely! Each tank should be separately vented.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Also, if you go to the Airstream site, they have owners manuals on line that show the plumbing for the waste water systems with clear illustrations. These are for new trailers, but the principle is exactly the same.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The black and grey tanks in my Argosy share a common vent stack. Original from A$. The point at which they connect is higher than the bath sink trap and the toilet.
I don't believe you could fill the black tank to the point it would flow into the grey thru the vent stack. Because the toilet bowl would not empty. That would be your first clue.
The same is true for the grey tank. When it gets full, it will back up into the shower/tub long before it would flow thru the vent system and go to the black tank.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Below are pic of the vent arrangement I have taken out. You see the 2" floating I thought with the larger black tank I would just attach to it. But it appears it is a bad idea. The 2" is what went directly to valve past tank.

The third picture is of the galley sink/vent. If this run attaches into the gray tank will that satisfy the need of venting the gray tank?

Thanks

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0630.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	180708   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0631.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	180709  

Name:	DSCF0633.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	180710  
Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you saying the 2" floating went to the pipe where the dump valve is attached or to the old black water tank?
What I see is pretty close to what is in the Argosy I have as far as the tanks go.
Is the tank in the pics the grey water tank? If it is, I'm assuming you want to connect the "floating" pipe to the black tank. Is this correct?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Yes, the 2" pipe met up with the shower drain pipe on the curb side of the valve after crossing underneath the trailer. On the street side the shower came in. I believe that is how it was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	180724  
Old 03-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't recall you saying what year the trailer is. Did it have a grey tank? Judging by the last pic you posted, I would guess NO!. Because of the plumbing cross below the black tank dump valve.
Are you planning to use the 2" pipe to drain the grey tank into the plumbing cross?
I think you meant to say the shower came in on one side and the sink on the other side of the cross. Is that correct?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
It's a 73 Tradewind. No, I will drain into new grey tank with either 1 1/2 or 2". Whatever I find out is recommended. I keep going back to a couple of super threads one by Lance McEwan who I will flatter as much as I can, that is to say copy what he has done. I am ordering the same tanks. Only one grey and one black.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...h-73643-5.html

Al