Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Outside shower

Has anybody found a replacement for the very high quality plastic outside shower? The door on the compartment won't stay shut on my 2011 23fb, and I'm not sure I can afford the genuine Airstream parts.

(Was that too much sarcasm?)
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro View Post
Has anybody found a replacement for the very high quality plastic outside shower? The door on the compartment won't stay shut on my 2011 23fb, and I'm not sure I can afford the genuine Airstream parts.
You can get the white version from any RV supply place, and paint it yourself.
Quote:
Maybe some people didn't get it, possibly you can notch it up a little more.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You can get the white version from any RV supply place, and paint it yourself.
Maybe some people didn't get it, possibly you can notch it up a little more.
Terry, most of the shower replacement kits you mention, are NOT the same as the AS.

I honestly don't know where they source theirs, but it IS a bit better.

Years ago, I installed an outside shower in my Casita, and searched high and low for the best quality, and yes, all the RV sources had them, but they were worse than what AS uses.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Terry, most of the shower replacement kits you mention, are NOT the same as the AS.

I honestly don't know where they source theirs, but it IS a bit better.

Years ago, I installed an outside shower in my Casita, and searched high and low for the best quality, and yes, all the RV sources had them, but they were worse than what AS uses.
Amazon.com: Thetford 36765 Exterior Shower Box: Automotive
Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:

Looking around the internet it looks like they are all about the same. If you could find a metal one you'd have to ensure that it didn't come in contact with the aluminum and start corrosion. Buy and pain as previous poster suggested.

Instead of "very high quality" try "awesome and superbly crafted" that might help move the sarcasm meter.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Instead of "very high quality" try "awesome and superbly crafted" that might help move the sarcasm meter.
"State of the art, high quality, ultimate in fine Chinese craftsmanship" should just about peg out the sarcasm-o-meter.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

this is very funny. thanks for the sarcasm, it kinda made my day. good 4th to all.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtgrls View Post
this is very funny. thanks for the sarcasm, it kinda made my day. good 4th to all.
Sarcasm is just one of the many services we offer here at Air forums. Glad we could help.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I didn't think about painting it which is strange since I just painted our vent hood cover. The paint was peeling off the equally well designed plastic vent cover so I pulled it off and painted it bright red. My biggest issue with the shower compartment door is the fact that it warps and won't fit flat in the box. Of course I'm sure this is by design.......I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate the detail
Old 07-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
FWIW, Airstream Inc now makes a stainless steel outside shower (as opposed to the plastic boxes/doors most of us have). I guess it's an option like the other stainless products Airstream sells (think of the furnace outside vent and the hot water heater outside vent). I saw one installed on a trailer recently. It looked good. The owner had it installed at the Alumapalooza a month ago. I didn't ask how much it cost. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is also a stainless steel range vent, when you get tired of viewing the red vent cover.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
That's great. I've seen the SS water heater, range vent, etc but I didn't realize they were making a SS shower door. I've been putting off upgrading the other items, but I will definitely upgrade the shower.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
The stainless steel outside shower "package" that Airstream sells includes the box, door, knobs, and shower hose/head, not just the door. Maybe they have a separate door they sell. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
It's not on the AS store yet. I'll have to call. Do you happen to know if they will sell it direct from AS or do you have to order from a dealer?
Old 07-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Man I didn't even know these existed... That is one other thing that these forums are good at, making me spend more money.

Do you guys use this option very often? Seems like a great way to rinse off dirt and grime after a day hiking and swimming and whatnot... Maybe a good place to wash the dog too!
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
It's not on the AS store yet. I'll have to call. Do you happen to know if they will sell it direct from AS or do you have to order from a dealer?
Capt, I don't know how you can get it. Maybe call the AS store in Jackson Center and if they won't sell it to you directly, get the stock number for when you call a dealer. The guy who has the trailer I saw the upgrade on, said he had AS install it while he was at the Alumapalooza. The guy also said that AS was going to do the fresh water fill door/assembly next in stainless steel. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 07-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Man I didn't even know these existed... That is one other thing that these forums are good at, making me spend more money.

Do you guys use this option very often? Seems like a great way to rinse off dirt and grime after a day hiking and swimming and whatnot... Maybe a good place to wash the dog too!
They are really great for washing off the remains of black tank malfunctions when dumping. A liberal dousing of soap, hot water, and your shoes will be as good as new, almost.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Or for hosing off the kids which can be just about as dirty.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have never seen this outside shower option. Our trailer does have an outside faucet down in the space for the water hookup. Seems to me that a short section of hose with a spray nozzle will accomplish the same thing. Maybe not so cool as the shower option but just as functional. Appreciate your thoughts on this.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Anyone here know anything about the assembly of these outside showers? We have a problem with the cold water knob on ours, which seems to have come apart causing water to rush forth.

Can't figure out how to take it apart to fix it. See related thread.

Thanks,

Maggie