Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
OEM vs Amazon Toilet valve

Good morning,
Our Dometic 310 toilet randomly (once in a while) leaks a bit of fresh water onto the floor and I would like to replace the toilet valve before it completely fails.

Question: is it worth double the price to purchase the OEM part or should I save $40 and go with Amazon import part?

Interested in everyone's opinion.

Thanks,
Peter
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I definitely think the Amazon Dometic 310/320 flush valve is worth the extra money. It's a 100% resin manufacturing process, which typically increases strength about 3x over the OEM plastic valves.

If these are what your referring to, I do think it's worth $10.00 more, and recommend keep an Xtra valve in the bathroom cabinet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0859K8SJ5...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I can't help you with your specific question but I will say that anytime I am replacing a critical component I usually go with original equipment (OEM), or a quality aftermarket (AM) replacement if OEM isn't available. In some instances AM components may be better than OEM. That's where reading reviews can help in the decision process. A toilet valve is very basic and isn't critical, but the consequences of it failing are potentially catastrophic, so some research and questioning like you are doing here is the way I would proceed. You may discover that both AM and OEM are one in the same with different branding.

We just spent twice the cost on some OEM MerCruiser bellows components for a boat. Not critical items, but the reviews for AM items was less than stellar and the labor associated with replacing them is considerable, as such I opted to spend the extra money for some peace of mind.

Just my $0.02.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Martee,
Ordered your suggested part via amazon.ca - was half the cost of Dometic OEM part locally. With Prime it is delivered tomorrow.

Thank you for the link!
Old 07-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
How can the toilet flush valve leak water onto the floor? Seems more likely to the the flange seal.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:57 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
How can the toilet flush valve leak water onto the floor? Seems more likely to the the flange seal.
I can see it leaking out of the foot pedal and down onto the floor. At this point it only happens periodically otherwise I would post a video for you.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
I can see it leaking out of the foot pedal and down onto the floor. At this point it only happens periodically otherwise I would post a video for you.
Understood. Thanks.

I was thinking of the ball seal.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
Still Learning

2013 25' International
Benzonia , Michigan
The valve attached to the foot pedal on our Dometic model 310 wasn't working well and made a loud clunking noise when using it. DH took it apart and saw it was covered with hard water deposits. He soaked it in vinegar for awhile, reassembled, worked great and quietly again. Was able to do this 2 more times before nee ding to replace it with OEM part.
Also, beware buying a cheep Amazon ball ring seal for the inside of the toilet. The one we got did not fit (too big to slip in the opening.) The OEM seal installed easily and fit perfectly.
Kat
trailerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:53 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
Check the hose clamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
Same thing happened to us, a small leak whenever we flushed. I replaced the valve with a new OEM one and the leak was still there. Then I started really looking and noticed that the leak was coming from where the valve connects to the hose leading up to the rim of the bowl. Originally this soft hose was secured with a PEX crimp fitting, which is what I replaced it with. The PEX crimp fitting is the problem. It is not designed for this hose connection and does not crimp tight enough on the small diameter soft hose allowing the connection to leak. I removed the PEX crimp fitting I had just installed and instead used the ugly hose clamp that came with the new valve, and that fixed the leak. See photo of the original installation from the factory. This PEX crimp fitting is not correct for this type of hose and valve fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C44B6EB-2FC7-4457-93C8-FC64DE8EA4F4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	399842  
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:50 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
Same thing happened to us, a small leak whenever we flushed. I replaced the valve with a new OEM one and the leak was still there. Then I started really looking and noticed that the leak was coming from where the valve connects to the hose leading up to the rim of the bowl. Originally this soft hose was secured with a PEX crimp fitting, which is what I replaced it with. The PEX crimp fitting is the problem. It is not designed for this hose connection and does not crimp tight enough on the small diameter soft hose allowing the connection to leak. I removed the PEX crimp fitting I had just installed and instead used the ugly hose clamp that came with the new valve, and that fixed the leak. See photo of the original installation from the factory. This PEX crimp fitting is not correct for this type of hose and valve fitting.

Thank you I have not installed the new valve yet but think that I might take a closer look at that hose connection. The main problem is that it only leaks once in a while. We are going out on a 11 day trip next week. I will bring the parts and wait for it to leak again.

-Peter