Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
No more Moen filter in my Safari

I've had it with the Moen water filter system in my 27FB.
Last year we arrived at our campsite, got hooked up and found that the filter under the sink was leaking. So we put a plastic bowl under it and emptied the bowl water all weekend. Once home I replaced the filter.
Last weekend we got to our campsite for a 3 day weekend, got hooked up, and water came gushing out from under the sink cabinetry like a water hose was under there. Opened the cabinet to find the filter had broken in half about 2 iniches from the top. The filter body was laying on the shelf and the top piece was still connected to the mount, spewing a full flow of water. Un hitched...drove a 75 mile round trip to a Home Depot where I bought a brass compression cap...$1.50...and then removed the water line from the T connector that fed the filter and capped the T connector.
I'm sending the broken filter to Moen and telling them they can stick it where the sundontshine. Then am converting to an outside filter. Whoever at Airstream came up with the idea of putting a filter under the sink, in the cabinet, apparently never considered failure of the filter and the resulting flood of water that occurs. I realize they were thinking of customer convenience, luxury appointments, etc. but that was a lousy idea.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Are you using a pressure regulator on your water line. I accidentally hooked my outside water filter directly to the water source instead of putting it behind the pressure regulator and it burst from the pressure.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
the AS dealer told me the 27FB has a pressure regulator built in...don't know where it would be located...I suppose behind the hose connector on the water supply inlet somewhere in the line.
never had a problem with pressure regulation.
But when I pick up the external inline water filter (thinking of getting the culligan RV700) I'm going to pick up a pressure regulator too. Used to have one but gave it to the couple that bought my old trailer back in 07. The RV parts place near me has all
that on hand.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer
Are you using a pressure regulator on your water line. I accidentally hooked my outside water filter directly to the water source instead of putting it behind the pressure regulator and it burst from the pressure.

Dennis
2010 Flying Cloud 28' bought new. It came equipped with a Moen 9600 under the sink water filter.

On my second trip out it started leaking while the trailer was hooked up to city water supply. The leak seemed to be caused by bad O rings on the cartridge.

AS immediately replaced it free of charge. Unfortunately it leaked again under city pressure (at 2AM) but this time we were able to isolate it to the top of filter housing where the city feed line screws onto the filter housing. We capped it off for the rest of the trip.

The entire installation is awkward due to the excessive length and extremely stiff plastic lines used to feed the filter and faucet. And some of the problem maybe caused by road vibration making the water supply retaining nut back off the filter housing.

I am going to Lowes or HD to explore different lines and some Teflon tape to seal the threads. I'll post pictures later for folks to see exactly what I'm talking about.

By the way the AS folks did not mention a pressure regulator on my water system.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaken49 View Post
2010 Flying Cloud 28' bought new. It came equipped with a Moen 9600 under the sink water filter.

On my second trip out it started leaking while the trailer was hooked up to city water supply. The leak seemed to be caused by bad O rings on the cartridge.

AS immediately replaced it free of charge. Unfortunately it leaked again under city pressure (at 2AM) but this time we were able to isolate it to the top of filter housing where the city feed line screws onto the filter housing. We capped it off for the rest of the trip.

The entire installation is awkward due to the excessive length and extremely stiff plastic lines used to feed the filter and faucet. And some of the problem maybe caused by road vibration making the water supply retaining nut back off the filter housing.

I am going to Lowes or HD to explore different lines and some Teflon tape to seal the threads. I'll post pictures later for folks to see exactly what I'm talking about.

By the way the AS folks did not mention a pressure regulator on my water system.
This is copied from the 2011 FC Manual (pg. F-7):

Your plumbing system has a built in pressure regulator to protect your lines and faucets from extremely high pressures on some city water systems.

Maybe the 2010 was different, but I don't think so.

I've replaced mine a couple of times due to winterizing, and re winterizing, and if you don't make sure the filter is absolutely set and screwed in properly, I could see where a leak would be possible.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The regulator, if like my 30' Classic, is just on the backside of the "wall" from the city water hookup fitting on the AS.
We discussed this in another thread, bu AS seemed to switch back and forth between Moen and Delta. I would suggest fitting the Delta filter system in your AS. It is a Pur filter, available everywhere for less money than the Moen, and seems to be a better design. The filter cartridge fits INSIDE a spin on casing and I have never had the first drop of leakage.
It uses AA batteries as well. I wonder if the indicator lighting system would be compatible though?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Went to the standard home filter setups they sell at Home Depot with replaceable filter elements. I just went down the isle in plumbing to get the brass NPT-to-garden hose adaptors (one male and one female) and screwed one on each side for easy connections to the standard water hose. Made the whole filter issue go away and parts are available nationally at HD and Walmart. This keeps the filter outside and avoids the potential leak issue.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I also have the Moen filter. I question the installation as it is mounted horizontal. I can see where it would put alot of stress on the "O" rings and the neck of the filter along with the weight of the water in the filter. I think a vertical mount might relieve this problem.
And the availability of this model of Moen filter is another problem . I find Moen filters locally, but not this model
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use a pressure regulator/gauge, inline filter, and softener outside the trailer for city hookups. I don't trust campground or my fresh tank for drinking water, so buy purified water if possible.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I always use an outside filter. My 2005 has a Moen fixture in the galley and a filter built in to the spigot, but...that does not cover the bathroom sink!

I have 3M FIltrete inside my house: there are different size filters if you have a tight fit, and the unit self-seals for filter change, no valving required.

@Snaken49: I assume that you will not use Teflon tape on compression of garden hose fittings: the seals are not the threads.

Also, a note of caution: some friends with a 27FB (fairly new, not sure what year) were heading to last year's NorCal rally. She closes the drains on all the sinks, shower, etc for travel, but they mistakenly left the water pump powered up. The kitechen faucet vibrated open, so the system tried to fill the trailer!

I now double check the water pump before rolling, including operating the kitchen sink fixture to verify.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hello Snaken49, this may be a good time to ditch the galley faucet along with its filtration system and "convenient side spray" (as Moen describes it), and replace it with something less subject to leaks.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote