Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
Need advice on Toilet replacement/sealing

I have inherited a 1995 Land Yacht Pusher Wide Body MH. The toilet was loose on the mount and further investigation showed a leaking gasket at the flange. The leak had apparently been there for some time as the OSB had disintigrated. We have pulled the floor down to the tank and in the process of removing the flange it was broken.

I have ordered a new flange and am looking for advice on the proper type of pipe to use. The pipe looks to be about 3", is black and has threads on the outside. Is this plain old ABS?

I also need advice on the proper steps to seal the connection pipe to tank and pipe to flange. When we removed the original pipe where it attaches to the tank, there was a large blob of white caulking surrounding the entire pipe. I assume that this was the factory install.

I also plan to rebuild the toilet (Traveler 510) while it is out and looking for advice on what kits I will need to bring into new specs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
batwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Just took a quick look but it appears 2 kits are available for your rebuild plus the flange seal and vacuum breaker if you need them.

SEAL KIT FOR 906-980,510,511
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I just replaced a toilet so this is fresh in my mind.. For the pipe you have to look high and low for 3" threaded pipe, (I never did find any) I would suggest you just buy a 3" threaded adapter and then cut a section of pipe to fit. You can use any closet flange, they use the same as you would find in your home. The white blob is just the same sealer they used on all the trailer, I just used what every I had laying around, it just to seal the threads so nothing special is needed.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Roswell , Georgia
Thanks Damon,

I just got back from HD and came to the same conclusion. I will use white PVC and a standard home flange. I wasn't sure if the flanges were unique or not and you cleared it up for me. I assume I can also use the flange bolts from HD to attach the toilet?

You gotta wonder, what were these people thinking when they used OSB for the flooring? I must have 20 splinters in my hands from that stuff. We had to take a significant section out to get coverage over the frame ribs and had to cut quite a bit of decking out to get the floor even. Marine grade plywood would have been much better.

Thanks again,

Ed
Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
What were they thinking? They were thinking, Flooring? lets go cheap most people never see it and if they do they wouldn't know the difference. The sign of quality work is when you take the same care with the areas that you don't see. OSB has replace plywood as roof and wall sheathing on houses. Why, because it's cheaper. Not better, not structurally stronger, just cheaper. Know what happens when it gets wet? Pretty soon they'll find a way to turn land fill garbage into panels.Then that's what they start using.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am glad you got answers to your question.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
You got my attention -- Need Advice On Toilet-- Glad you weren't there long, ha ha!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Roswell , Georgia
Thanks guys. Craftsman you were dead on. I would have thought that as much as these things cost that they would have been built as well as the outside. My dad originally had a 72 31 footer and we towed it all over the country for over 23 years before he traded it for the motor home he has now. It was a rear bath with side bunks and the only real problem he ever had was failed flooring in the bath and the rear frame rusting where the black tank auju corroded it.

I still beleive that the good with these things far outweighs the bad points. I am repairing this so that when they find this chassis alll rusted in a field crumbling into the earth that my toilet will be standing proudly mounted to my repaired floor !

Anyone have any hints on sealant to use where the pipe screws into the black tank and the joint where the flange screws to the pipe? Teflon tape, caulk, something specifically made for the task?