Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 01:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Moving shower and toilet to the opposite side

Hi,

We're repairing a 1976 31' Sovereign and we're thinking about moving the shower and toilet to the opposite size (see picture).

Is this feasible or mighty complicated?

Cheers,
Click image for larger version

Name:	You_Doodle_2017-08-08T05_54_20Z.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	291815
tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When RVs are designed a lot of effort goes into balancing the weight forward and aft as well as side to side.
Don't end up with all the heavy stuff on one side.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
It's doable. ANYTHING is doable with enough time effort, and money.

Whether it's practical is a whole 'nother story. You'll have to also move the black tank at least so you've got a straight drop from the toilet to the tank. Which also means re-routing your black tank discharge line.

And right now all of your plumbing is on the same side of the trailer, so you'll have to reroute some of your plumbing as well.

You'll also need to consider side-to-side weight distribution to make sure you're not putting too much of a load on your street-side wheels (and brakes!) compared to the load on your curb-side wheels. It's possible to overload some wheels and not others when you start moving around your major components; the original trailer had all wheels loaded about the same. To me, this is the main sticking point.

I think that if you pay close attention to your trailer's weight distribution as you go, what you propose IS doable. It may not be cheap, it may not be easy, ir may not be quick, but it can be done.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanin View Post
Hi,

We're repairing a 1976 31' Sovereign and we're thinking about moving the shower and toilet to the opposite size (see picture).

Is this feasible or mighty complicated?

Cheers,
Attachment 291815
Seems like a crazy idea IMO, but maybe you have some strong reasons for wanting to swap things across the hall? Knowing your thinking would sure help.

Tanks!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Seems like a crazy idea IMO, but maybe you have some strong reasons for wanting to swap things across the hall? Knowing your thinking would sure help.
Respectfully, I must disagree. It's not a crazy idea, just out-of-the-box thinking. And I have to admire that. "Why" doesn't matter, only whether it can or can't be done.

There are sound engineering reasons why the execution of tanin's idea will be difficult, and time consuming, and expensive. But I also feel it's important to encourage creativity, as long as his idea is not completely impossible to safely implement. Tanin may change his mind when he knows what it entails, but calling the idea crazy is not the way to welcome a new member to our fold.

That's why I pointed out factors that would need to be addressed without saying that it's crazy or impossible. Because it's neither crazy nor impossible, just complicated.

I'll admit I'm curious as well as to why he wants to do it, but it's not my business until and unless tanin chooses to share. It may only be one small part of a total-trailer redesign. Or it could just be that tanin is left-handed and everything in the bathroom is on the wrong side for him. Doesn't matter. What matters is that what he wants to do is possible, under the right conditions and constraints.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
That is why the "IMO" is there after ". . . seems . . crazy . . . " in my post -- just part of normal human communication and interaction here on the forum. He is certainly free to reply or not, but the reasons for the swap are part of the analysis IMO.

This is not a class in engineering, but of course, reasonable minds might differ on this . . .

Cheers,

Peter
Old 08-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #7

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I have to ask out of curiosity though, what's the reason to swap sides?
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We don't need to know the reason. All he wants to know is can it be done and how difficult it can be to do it.sometimes we ask too many non pertinent questions, this can drive the op off.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Maybe it would be easier and simpler to learn to use the left hand?....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
haha I was just about to make a poop joke but this sums it up^

Rear bath to the side makes sense to me... a side to side switch, sure doable but why?
We really want to know I think?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
I am doing a rear bath to side, but I was thinking about splitting up the toilet and shower to opposite sides.

I am hoping somebody has suggestions on what black tank may work or a process to build a custom one.

Maybe even guidelines on how big the tank should be (capacity) to help sizing a tank.

FWIW, mine is a 1971 31ft Sovereign twin bunk model.. or at least it was...
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't buy the idea of the engineer's design RV's with side to side weight in mind.
In my Argosy all of the heavy stuff is on the street side. Refer, battery, water heater, closets. Only the sink and furnace are on the curb side.
The grey and black water tanks are behind the rear axle and the fresh water tank is above the floor in the very front of the coach.
I think there is very little "engineering design" put in to most RV'S. It's more like "Oh that will fit here". Even if it is a hard to get to place for future maintenance.
If the people who design (and I use that term loosely) had to work on these rigs. Things would be different.
IMHO
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I agree with Twinkie! Just because you pay a lot for something doesn't garuntee that it was well thought out. That said,let's forget about why,and answer the question, which is can he do it, and that answer is yes! So now let's help with "how". I personally don't think it will be that difficult. I have done a similar thing to my trailer. It was more work than money
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Over thinking

I decided to take out the small bath tub and replace it with a shower stall. I went to Ohio to pick it up at Airstream so they assured me that it would fit in my 75 International. I remove the top 3 panels on the outside and the entire interior to find out that the shower shell now covers half of the rear window. Must be for a different layout. Oh well, moving to plan B I installed a aluminum cover over the window and put in a cool looking port hole window. Don't count on anything to go easy or cheaply. I have to wonder if you even thought about window placement. If not there is always plan B.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I think you'll find that if you do you'll have to rotate everything 180 degrees. So the shower would need to be aft of the toilet. This would be to keep the drain hole between the frame rails. Then you'll have to look at how to get the pipes to the tank inlets. This would probably require moving the tanks since the toilet usually sits directly above the black water tank. Then you'd have to look at re plumbing the gray water from the kitchen to the relocated gray water tank without a cross member being in the way. Moving the tanks to accommodate would probably put the tank outlets on the wrong side of the trailer.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I am afraid to say, but mostly aesthetic and a bit practical with the way we want to redesign the interior. 7
tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanin View Post
I am afraid to say, but mostly aesthetic and a bit practical with the way we want to redesign the interior. 7
Thanks for the update. Without more details, further comment is difficult IMO.

As to the do-ability of the swap, Protagonist covered it pretty well.

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It's doable. ANYTHING is doable with enough time effort, and money.

Whether it's practical is a whole 'nother story.
. . .
Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I moved the rear bath (rotten floors) to the middle over the wheels. Shower is on one side and toilet, sink, storage on the other. I put a queen + size bed to fill the back over storage platform.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Since I have a '72 tradewind 25 footer, which didn't have a grey tank, I had new framing added under the back area to nest a tank. My thread is on the forum under " '72 "
Old 08-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have this same trailer. We have the same plan to move and agree with everyone about effort and about weight and balance over the wheels. Our vision was to open the space up that was an enclosed bathroom by separating the shower, sink and toilet with only the shower having a door, opening to the main corridor. The other reason is we are totally stripping the trailer down to re-align the bed for and aft vice port to starboard. This creates the need for more space forward from the bed and a total change of about 3 feet on the port side and about 2 feet on the starboard side. So in my case this was what has driven the change. Also this.opens the opportunity to perhaps remove the black water tank and go with either a canister toilet or a composting toilet. Potentially this also shifts some weight around so doing some engineering is good.
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote