Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
csomers

1971 23' Safari
carmel , Indiana
moving bathroom

i have just gutted a 1971 safari...including floor and all plumbing
i would like to move the bathroom from the rear of the trailer to the side
in order to move a bedroom to the rear...
has anyone done this...is there any reasons this is not mechanically a good idea
all the best
c somers
csomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We had originally planned to do this with our '72 sovereign, but have ended up planning on leaving it in the rear after all. The biggest reason is that we could not get our floor plan to fit well with all the storage we wanted with the bedroom in the rear. Our outside storage hatches for the most part just didn't fit with what we wanted to do, and that really bothered me because it means lost storage. Also we just couldn't get the closet space we wanted in with everything else.
Otherwise, it is very doable according to what we've seen and read, especially if you split the bathroom to both sides of the trailer (something we were unwilling to do). You will have to move your black water tank or go with above floor tank since you will need to toilet to drop straight into the tank.

Good luck and keep posting!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
I haven't seen this done yet, but I am cheering you on.....
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up Rear bedroom 23'

We too have a 70's 23' and considered doing the same. We have a King size bed at home and luv the idea of having a real comfy bed designed for a 6'2' guy in the 23'. I guess the issue is the work involved with getting the bathroom relocated and functional again. I just for see a pile of work to get it done right but then again it may be worth it.

Would be interested to see how you make out if you take on the project.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Furthermore.... since you have gone as far as you have already with the gut etc I think I would figure out a way to make it work.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Great idea will be interested in how this progresses. I would be sure your holding tank placements work okay and your weight and balance for the frame. Then just a matter of rearranging the inner space. Post some design sketches and I am sure you will get a number of comments. Good luck!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by csomers View Post
i have just gutted a 1971 safari...including floor and all plumbing
i would like to move the bathroom from the rear of the trailer to the side
in order to move a bedroom to the rear...
Welcome to the Forums -

Be sure to incorporate as large a gray water tank as you can fit in should you go through with the rebuild.

Lots of info here - learn to use the "search" function - especially the "advanced" and "google search" function....the more specific you are in your questions the better the answers that will be returned.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I think part of the challenge is the fact the bathroom would end up in the proximity of the wheel wells. This makes it difficult for placement of the black water tank.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
There is no reason a bathroom can't be located from rear to center, but it does involve a good bit of planning to do it effectively. The other thing to consider is the ability to re-use parts as most of the fiberglass components are not interchangeable.

Here is a recent post about bath relocation on a 31' with some links that may be useful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...tml#post790960

Regards and best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

1976 Argosy 26
Carleton PLace , Ontario
I thought I was the only one who wanted to acheive this task, but since joining here, there appears to be plenty of interest. I just picked up a 1976 Argosy 26 footer and have been laying awake at night trying to come up with a way to relocate the bathroom to the opposite side of the kitchen sink / counter. And as many others want to do, put a walk around queen at the back. Its those darn wheel wells that keep obstructing my plans. I have even thought of doing a raised platform at the back, which would create under floor storage and also hide the fenders. A basic shower stall is 32" which is only an inch or so wider than the closet that's already there. I will be sure to post pics when tackled. Got to finish a customized Shasta compact first.
kammokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
We moved the bathroom to the opposite side and added twin beds that double as a dinette, the beds sit over the wheel wells.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote