Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
livermore , California
macerating toilets

hello everyone, I'm wondering how many people are using the macerating toilets?
I've posted in the tank section about the issues I'm having restoring a 1958 silver streak with a corner bath. Lots of looks but no suggestions or feedback.
I'm thinking the macerating toilets my be a possible solution since the discharge tube is smaller.
pgheald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I don't really know anything about them, but it seems to me they are just complicated systems just waiting to break down, and then what a mess! How about using a porta-potty or one of the European-style toilets with a tank (can't think of the correct term) that pulls out for emptying? Or even a Blue Boy?

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I don't really know anything about them, but it seems to me they are just complicated systems just waiting to break down, and then what a mess! How about using a porta-potty or one of the European-style toilets with a tank (can't think of the correct term) that pulls out for emptying? Or even a Blue Boy?

Vivian

Cassette toilet...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #4
van guru

1994 28' Excella
Hood River , Oregon
We installed a Techma Silence Plus in our custom Sprinter build. It's been reliable for more then 4 years. It does use a bit more water but has two flush sequences. It produces a very dump-able slurry-llike waste which keeps our black tank much cleaner. We have a 1 1/2" dump valve. No poo mountain right under the poop shoot. The best feature is not a hint black tank smell in the cabin. It is completely odor-less when flushing.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
We installed a macerating toitet (Raritan SeaEra Toilet with the household style bowl). Since we were making major changes to the bathroom layout we wanted the flexibility of were it was located. We went from a shower stall with toilet, sink cab and closet to a tub, sink cab and toilet.

Original (57 layout in a titled 58).

Click image for larger version

Name:	bath sink cab toilet.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	359539 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath closet.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	359538

New layout: Tub takes up space of shower stall/toilet and Sink cab moved over to closet area with extra shelves. These two take up the same foot print as the original shower stall and closet. That only leaves the floor space the sink cab used to occupy.

Name:	Tub 1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	359540 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom sink cab.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	359541

Toilet is angled toward the sink cab to maximize leg space I also installed a 2" spacer underneath to raise it to a more comfortable level.

Name:	Bathroom 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	359542

Yes the macerating unit uses more water, is electrical, and makes more noise than you would wish for in the middle of the night. Its worth it in our opinion.

We added the smart control to allow more flexibility and the ability to program how the unit functions.

https://raritaneng.com/raritan-produ...ods/seaera-et/

http://raritaneng.com/marine-toilet-...tToiletControl

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein View Post
We installed a Techma Silence Plus in our custom Sprinter build. It's been reliable for more then 4 years. It does use a bit more water but has two flush sequences. It produces a very dump-able slurry-llike waste which keeps our black tank much cleaner. We have a 1 1/2" dump valve. No poo mountain right under the poop shoot. The best feature is not a hint black tank smell in the cabin. It is completely odor-less when flushing.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
I'm with Hein, and for the reasons he stated. The macerator toilet is definitely a good option if you need a small tube or need to pump waste over to the black tank. The latter is the reason AS installed a macerator toilet in our class b model. It may be the only option if you wish to maintain a "residential" style toilet.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Cassette toilet...
Thank you RM Krum! The older I get, the longer I have to wait for these words to come back...

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Thank you RM Krum! The older I get, the longer I have to wait for these words to come back...

Vivian

Wait till you hit my age....and have trouble naming off 4 kids and 9 grandkids...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote