Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
White Pigeon , Michigan
Macerating Toilet Downsides?

I am currently redoing a 71 31' Sovereign. It was formerly a rear bath, but I am converting it to a side bath. I would love to leave the tank in the rear though, so I've been looking at toilet options. I'm not a fan of the idea of a composting toilet, so I was looking into macerating options. My uncle works in a trailer factory, and was able to pick one up for me for $50. It has a tiny crack where you would mount it but we can easily drill another hole or reinforce where the crack is. Before I install, is there any reason I shouldn't put a macerating toilet in? Are there any downsides I haven't considered? Thanks for the input!
emilyweav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
We have a 2017 26U with the macerator toilet. Under warranty, we had the original replaced. It didn't stop working - but was making a bad noise and leaking. If it had stopped working ---- you know what creek we would have been up w/o a paddle !!!! Another observation we had is that the macerator toilet is NOT a water conserving unit. We are not big fans of the macerator.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
We have a 2017 26U with the macerator toilet. Under warranty, we had the original replaced. It didn't stop working - but was making a bad noise and leaking. If it had stopped working ---- you know what creek we would have been up w/o a paddle !!!! Another observation we had is that the macerator toilet is NOT a water conserving unit. We are not big fans of the macerator.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post

Dan
I too have the 26U with the macerating toilet. If you look at the plumbing diagram, the drain pipe makes (6) six! 90 degree turns before getting to the black tank. Some runs go uphill.
I dread a clog, so I don't use it for............well, it would have to be a last resort.
I miss the old fashioned toilet of my previous RV, press the pedal and all the stuff falls into the black tank. Hello, goodbye!
There's so much good about the 26, but the toilet is not one.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
We also have a 26u and like the macerator toilet. Grinds everything up before it gets in the black tank. Less chance of a black pyramid in the tank.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We have a 2018 30' FC with the macerator toilet and has worked fine. Haven't looked at the plumbing diagram in regards to angles and turns before the package gets to the black tank. In regards to water conservation our's requires us to add the amount of water needed to help the package along its journey to the black tank after it gets 'macerated'.
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagy_007 View Post
We have a 2018 30' FC with the macerator toilet and has worked fine. Haven't looked at the plumbing diagram in regards to angles and turns before the package gets to the black tank. In regards to water conservation our's requires us to add the amount of water needed to help the package along its journey to the black tank after it gets 'macerated'.

"The package"