Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy's Toilet Rehab

Well, after 1,270 nights of camping and probably at least 10,000 toilet flushes, Lucy's blade seal has quit holding water. We have been nursing it along for a couple of years now with cleaning and various lubricating treatments. It is now difficult to get the blade seal to seat properly, and we have determined that it is time for a rehab.

Lucy's toilet is her original Thetford Aqua Magic V Foot Flush. I have ordered and received a new blade seal and a new closet flange seal. We have not had any leaking around the base of the toilet, but I think that a new flange seal is in order. I have also purchased a hose sprayer kit to add to Lucy's toilet while I have it out of the trailer.

If anyone has any tips and/or tricks to make this job easier or better, they would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate suggestions about other parts that really should be replaced at this time.

Lucy is currently at SuEllyn's Dad's over in Jacksonville, so we will not be doing this job for another couple of weeks.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Drain the black tank, run the heck out of the flushers, then fill the tank to 90% with water and a agitate, then drain again and refill. Leave room for at least two cups of bleach. Let sit no more than 15 minutes and drain again. Leave the bathroom fan running for 1/2 hour, and prop the flusher open with a stick.

NOW you're ready to pull up the toilet. Work outside as it will still smell like bleach (which is way better than the alternative).
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Nasty!!!!!!!

Hi, the bottom inside of this toilet is hollow and all kinds of junk gets splashed up into this area. Remove the toilet, take it to a large safe place, turn it upside down, spray the entire inside cavity with something like Simple Green, let it sit for a while, and with full body/face protection, spray water into this area to clean out all of the junk. Then do it again especially if you have never done this before. "Don't ask me how I know all of this".
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You all are making me really look forward to this undertaking.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Brian

One last try before you remove the toilet. Get a heavy metal coat hanger and bend a 3/4 in. 90 degree on the end of a straight section long enough to reach the groove the gate slides into. bend another 90 at the other end big enough the act as a handle. With the gate open, and you may want to do the full bleach thing along with this. Open the gate and run the hanger along the slot that the gate seats in. Often the leak is nothing more than paper pushed into the slot keeping the gate from seating. If you see paper come out as you work the slot you may be home free.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Unless you have already purchased the parts, go for a new toilet.
I hated the Aqua Magic in my 2004 Safari and when it broke, I replaced it with a Thetford china toilet and consigned the Aqua Magic to the dumpster. I believe plastic picks up unpleasant odors and china cleans up much better.
All of the Thetfords fit on the same flange. The dimensions are in the Thetford website. The fit is a little tight in my Safari and the toilet is higher than the Aqua Magic but it is a worthwhile upgrade. The water hookup didn't match but a flexible half inch toilet water line from Home Depot easily solved that problem.
As others have said, rebuilding a toilet is an unpleasant but not difficult job. It is easier when you are handling a clean, new toilet.
The donuts are only foam rubber and break down in a short time, letting in unpleasant odors. Any time mine comes off the flange, I replace the donut.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Unless you have already purchased the parts, go for a new toilet.
Well, if you do, they are on sale right now.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote