Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
Leaky Thetford toilet valves

I had replace (with much difficulty the valves on my Black water toilet and dump valve.
In a few years they started to leak AGAIN.

I had the toilet out several times and noted that the seal and valve slide are plastic or rubber composition.

I thought that the reason of the leak was debrise or solids in the valve joint.
Then thought that if I put some water in the holding tank and then put some Muriatic acid (always acid to the water not water to the acid) it should disolve the debrise.I left it for two days and then looked and the water level stayed up.I did this to the holding tank and the toilet.

Iam happy to announce that it works, my seals ....seal again. I think an application once per year would keep it in good working order.A NOTE
keep window open to allow fumes to escape.

Rae Baker
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
How much acid did you add, and I wonder if there are any materials down in there that would be degraded? If it's all plastic, it should be no problem. I have a leaking dump valve, my toilet gets replaced this week.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If you are talking about the slide valve and gasket in the bottom of the commode there is a simple fix that does not require removing the toilet. Make a tool, bent coat hanger will work, that will fit into the slot where the plastic valve goes. Use this tool to remove the toilet paper that has been jamed in this grove and preventing a good seal. After removing the material that is preventing the seal liberaly coat the plastic and rubber with petroleum jelly. This should take care of your problem, it has worked for me and others many times, the most recent being this weekend.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Sorry, I wasn't too clear on that.
My toilet is getting replaced, regardless. It has other issues.
It sounds like RaeBaker06 put acid in the black tank to fix the leak in the dump valve from the black tank. I also have a leak at the dump valve, and would be interested in trying this - if the consensis is that the acid will do no harm to the plumbing or tank. I wonder how it might affect the tank level sensors.
Any thoughts?
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If you can keep the wash cloths out of the system, Airstream loves the towel bar right over the commode, you should never need anything that drastic. I have pulled a wash cloth out of the dump valve that was not a fun job.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
acid to water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
How much acid did you add, and I wonder if there are any materials down in there that would be degraded? If it's all plastic, it should be no problem. I have a leaking dump valve, my toilet gets replaced this week.
Dave
I have used a quart of tap water and about 4 oz. of acid.
Be sure you add the acid to the water and keep face away from pour, just in case something goes wrong. It should not be a problem I have used acid on other things many times.

Let acid sit several days . then move the valve a little and let sit and then dump and apply again.

Good to do this about once per years to clear any debrise.

Rare Baker < raebaker06@comcast.net
Old 03-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
The cloth will not remove any water deposited debrise or human debrise that surley will collect in the neoprene seal. the only solution is to desolve it.

Acid is the best way .
I took the toilet out and scraped the seal and still had some leaking. Acid was the answer.
There is nothing in the black water system that would be damaged by the acid. it is all plastic and neoprene.

Also we do not put paper in the toilet. We have a small paper bag and deposit the paper in it and then out. I too had the joy of cleaning out the trap when we first bought the trailer.

Rae Baker06@comcast.net
Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

My Airstream manual lists the chemicals that are compatible with the tank plumbing, and a 10% hydrochloric (muriatic) acid is in the list.
Nick.