Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

leaking toilet

I have a 1974 24' overlander. I am having a problem with my toilet leaking or running from under the toilet. Are there any sugestions as to what the cause may be and how to fix it, or do i need to replace the toilet? ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Just a bump to hopefully get you some help. Is the water coming from under the flange seal onto the floor, from a water connection, somewhere under the pedestal shroud (if you have one), or elsewhere? Also, what brand is the toilet? I had a problem with the water inlet valve on my Sealand Traveler Lite. Finding the part online and replacing it did the job.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgump
I have a 1974 24' overlander. I am having a problem with my toilet leaking or running from under the toilet. Are there any sugestions as to what the cause may be and how to fix it, or do i need to replace the toilet? ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
If it's the original toilet, the "ball valve" that is part of the slide mechanism, is leaking.

The ball valve can be replaced or, the entire slide mechanism.

However, they are different for different for different models.

Please list the make and model of the toilet you have.

Stating a 74 24 overlander, is misleading.

Airstream did not make a 24 foot trailer that year.

The overlander, means its a 27 foot trailer.

It would also help whenever you want parts, is to list the serial number of the trailer, the make and model of whatever appliance, and or what does the part do, or what is the part called, that you need.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
It would also help whenever you want parts, is to list the serial number of the trailer, the make and model of whatever appliance, and or what does the part do, or what is the part called, that you need.
Andy makes a good point - whether you want parts for your Airstream, Cadillac or your lawn mower. Take the model and serial # with you. If dealing with a lawn/garden machine, also take the type number.
Your parts person will think you're a genius...
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
I'm having a similar issue and have taken the following steps:

1) I looked behind the toilet and can see where the water line has disconnected from the intake

2) I located the hatches in the toilet

3) I ordered a 1/2 inch socket extension so I can reach in there and unbolt the toilet

That's as far as I have progressed so far....

Hope that helps some.

Sharon
SharonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
67 Overlander same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
If it's the original toilet, the "ball valve" that is part of the slide mechanism, is leaking.

The ball valve can be replaced or, the entire slide mechanism.

However, they are different for different for different models.

Please list the make and model of the toilet you have.

Stating a 74 24 overlander, is misleading.

Airstream did not make a 24 foot trailer that year.

The overlander, means its a 27 foot trailer.

Andy
Andy, you say its the ball mechanism and not the floor gasket. I am experiencing the same issue with my 67 Overlander. The toilet is a Mansfield Sanitary (later to become SeaLand) 910. While doing a floor replacement I discovered the PO had utilized a wax ring...and after a couple of calls to Mansfield and then Sealand got a new floor gasket. When I reinstalled first the base, I flushed water down the base and seemed like no leak. Then when I got the bowl replaced, the leak showed up. So I am guessing that makes sense. Do you have the Ball for this toilet?
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote